Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel Injected....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:42 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Injected....

Well....you could steal the harness and ECU out of a late model bronco and then attempt to retro fit an after market setup (the bronco setup would not be matched well for your motor IMO so I wouldn't even bother). You could look here for the aftermarket: http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...p;autoview=sku

But going EFI is a lot more work than you might imagine, aside from wiring in the computer and bolting on the intake you will need to retrofit the old and new wiring harnesses together, you will need to mount up an OS2 in the exhaust line, you will need to go electric fuel pump, and you will need to run a return line to the fuel tank. Seems like alot of work and if you don't like the idea of tuning you carb/choke to work a little better in the cold weather start ups...try setting up a fill EFI system from scratch However once it is all setup and working, EFI is a nice upgrade in an old stang.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

take a look at this 5.8 EFI 95 cobra

Old 12-23-2007, 10:49 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: superdavid

Lightning? Wanna throw in a few more words lol....

ford lightning truck the first gen had a 351w but it had factory gt40 heads and intake find a lightning upper and lower on ebay and use it
Old 12-24-2007, 12:16 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

There are plenty of 351W EFI intake manifold options. Aside from the tuning issue, I don't think it would be much more difficult than it would be for a stock 5.0L EFI swap. I can tell you from experience (I'm about 75% through an EFI swap with a Ford Racing crate motor), an EFI swap in a modded motor will cost you MUCH more than a stock motor. Instead of using cheap, plentiful takeoffs, you'll be buying larger MAF's, TB's, injectors, etc. I'll let you know if it was worth it in a few weeks.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Have you tried tuning the carb? If it's a decent carb it should be fine in cold weather. As far as EFI, there are a lot of different routes to go. You could build you own sorta, get a buncha stuff from FAST and use a 4bbl throttle body with port injection on something like a Vic Jr intake. That'll be really pricey, but very nice. Find a factory 5.8 setup and just get a better intake and a tune. It depends on how much you wanna spend and how much power you wanna make.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Ioften keep the laptop in the car and monitor the engine. After the initial tune, I did fiddle with the timing,target idle, and throttle follower after doingsome data logs and having a friend 2000 miles away look at them andrecommend some minor adjustments, mostly for drivability. Its interesting to seethescreens move around with the tempature or even humidity changes. The car starts with a turn of the key in 20 deg to 100 deg weather and for its power gets fairly good mileage. That is one area this spring that I'm going to try to improve on when Ihave more time to play with it (increase the A/F ratio more). I think the biggest advantage of the EFIis its ability to self adjust, as my carbed cars are also hard to start this time of year.The biggie is the cost. I built mine from the ground up, TB, injectors, fuel system, sensors, DIS4, rails, etc and it did cost. I went with the Accel Gen 7DFI due to its ability tohandle all the features that I wanted (NOS, supercharger, dual fans, fuel pump, A/C control, Ford EDIS). Its a blast to drive, and having over 550 ft/lbs of torque doesn't hurt either. I would love to do another when funds permit, but with twin turbos less the NOS. It would be nice of someone could do a how to "Build a Twin Turbo EFI on the cheap" using parts out of junk yards listing everything specifically (by number) in detail to complete the build.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:13 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Heres a photo if it works.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture022.jpg
Old 12-24-2007, 09:19 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

There are a couple of "plug and play" EFI units out there. One would be the painless EFI setup for better then stock performance that is self adjusting without a laptop, or the MSD Blaster EFI setup that is a slim down vertion of the Big Stuff 3 system that we use for racing.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:57 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you want EFI just cuz the carb drives worse in the cold weather, then you can save a ton of money and just tune the carb. If I were to go EFI, I'd prolly go with FAST, or if I could take the time to learn, I'd save the money and go with Megasquirt.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 PM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

hey david i have done alot of serching on this efi subject im building a 351cbut im also looking at going efi and i have found a few sites im not sure if its what your looking for but you never know.. i really like the second one

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...ngle-quad.html

http://www.mass-floefi.com/mass-flo.html

Quick Reply: Fuel Injected....