Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

oops...car wont steer....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: oops...car wont steer....

It would probably help, but I would suggest not using the 'Red' unless you don't ever expect to have to take it apart for any reason (horn, turn signals).

Something else that may help is to avoid either pushing down or pulling up on the wheel as you steer, or as a grab handle to hang onto while adjusting the fore/aft seat position. That tends to pry the wheel up on one side and may cause the nut to gradually back off.

Norm
Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

You have to crank the snot out of that nut to keep it from loosening and to push it down on the shaft which is tapered. If you pulled the hub off without using a steering wheel puller it was way too loose. It doesn't look stripped, I'd try cranking it down with a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Place the hub back on and be sure to line up the marks. Then tighten it until the hub is pushed onto the shaft and you can't tighten it anymore. Really put some muscle into it. The shaft will turn as you tighten it, when the wheels are all the way to the right is when it will start to push the hub down on the shaft. Crank it down.

The hub and shaft are designed with a taper to prevent this from happening. The hub should be so tight on the shaft that even with the nut off the wheel won't fall off.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I used several wraps of Teflon tape on mine, to keep the nut from backing off, well after it already had, so I used Teflon tape the SECOND time. [8D]
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The proverbial loose nut behind the wheel huh...

I have lost steering on two separate occasions... once because of a broken top bearing in the column, the shaft was actually worn in half.

Once in a big truck, the steering box let go just before entering a tunnel and descending along gradejust outside ofBisbee AZ. (anyone familiar with Bisbee's topography?)

I had to go through thenearly 1/4 mile tunnel to park safely... idling alongif I nailed the throttle, the truck would go to the right, by suddenly letting off the throttle the truck would go left.... interesting ride...
Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

alright...just stopped by summit and picked up a new one for $20 and put it on and got her nice and tight. put some thread locker on it so its not going anywhere anytime soon. im going to keep an eye on it for a while just to make sure. we have a store in town that supposedly specializes in mustangs and shelbys and they didnt have it because it was for a grant steering wheel...you'd think with as many people who change steering wheels out in these cars they would at least carry that part.

thanks for everyones help, i really do appreciate it!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

problem was not the cast aluminum most likely the problem was it was not tight enough, it is both a tapered fit and has the grooves, so if it is not tight there would be a slight wobble and cause the teeth to get slowly worn, also watch for the little ring that goes over ot to cover it , mine needed to be ground down or it would hit the steering collum and bind

autozone , advance, and napa should carry those
Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM
JamesW

ORIGINAL: connor90

alright...just stopped by summit and picked up a new one .....
Oh man, THAT must be nice to have nearby....
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

yeah i knew it wasnt a hose but i just wanted to tell my story
Good one, best laugh all day.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

ORIGINAL: connor90

alright...just stopped by summit and picked up a new one .....
Oh man, THAT must be nice to have nearby....
haha you have no idea...i live 15 mins from the reno/sparks warehouse and its saved me a couple of times.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 AM

Dmamn that would be awesome.. i bet there isnt anything close in AZ