Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

oops...car wont steer....

Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default oops...car wont steer....

heres what happened, i was pulling out of my parking spot after i got out of the movies last night and when i went to turn the steering wheel it turned but the wheels didnt. got a grinding noise from the gears inside so im thinking it has to do with that. i had to have it towed home (again) but im just greatful it didnt happen while i was driving. i havent really taken a look at it yet since it was freezing last night and i just wanted to get home. anyone have any ideas as to why it would do this all the sudden?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oops...car wont steer....

Well - either your steering box took a dump or something got disconnected in the steering linkage. Check the linkage first, and if it's all there in proper order, it's likely your steering box. If it is your steering box, you can either have them rebuilt or buy a new one (Flaming River makes a nice steering box - so I've been told).

Do you have manual or power steering?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
ky
America ftw

maybe u blew a power steering hose. happened to me before. i was backing out of my driveway, and my hose blew and sprayed power steering fluid all over and it smoked like crazy cause it went all over my headers. so i cut the power steering pump belt and drove around with no power steering for a few days lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Rorin67
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: true66gt

maybe u blew a power steering hose. happened to me before. i was backing out of my driveway, and my hose blew and sprayed power steering fluid all over and it smoked like crazy cause it went all over my headers. so i cut the power steering pump belt and drove around with no power steering for a few days lol.
If you were able to still drive it around, then your steering still worked - it's just that it wasn't "power" anymore... The original post said that his wheels didn't move at all when he turned the steering wheel.

I've heard of steering boxes being loose and sloppy to the point of needing a rebuild, but I've haven't heard of a steering box completely failing like this. Unless something is missing/disconnected in your steering linkage, it sounds like something catastrophic happened to your steering box.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
ky
America ftw

yeah i knew it wasnt a hose but i just wanted to tell my story
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

well its not a p/s equipped car so thats not the case and its not the actual steering box...its the ring gear in the steering column that you bolt the steering wheel to if that makes sense. so i turn the wheel and the wheel spins but the shaft inside the column doesnt. im just curious to why that happened all of the sudden, kind of scary if you think about it...could have happened when i was driving and then i would have been pretty screwed...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
ky
America ftw

new steering wheel then.
i have this wheel. its so awsome

Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
hammerit
1st Gear Member

It could be the rag joint on the steering wheel shaft
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

but its not part of the steering wheel, its what the steering wheel bolts up to...im going to call a local shop and see if they have the part but im not sure what its called. i might just have to go in with the part and see if we can find a matching one.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

alright...i just went out and took it apart and this is the part i need...anyone know what its called??

[IMG]local://upfiles/53517/657C671C8C094754AAC026B0FE5FB8F7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53517/519A024C80A643D3BABC8058985907E4.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread