Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

DIY Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY Ram Air?

ORIGINAL: pushrodpower

ORIGINAL: Daze

you can do it but other than a cool air intake you won't see much of an improvement. here is an excerpt from my web page on the subject.

Many people have "ram air " on their cars, or at least they think they do. A hood scoop is a wonderful way to provide cool fresh air to a motor, however, even if you are cruising down the road at 80+MPH, there is not enough air pressure at the scoop to force air into the motor. The problem is that air pressure is created in front of the car. As the air is pushed out of the way, it is forced up, down , and to the sides. The upward motion of the air dissipating off the front of the car redirects any forward air that would be going into your hood scoop, up and over the car. Think of it like a bug deflector, but instead of pushing bugs up and over the car, it is air flow. I received this quote in an email:

"I have experience in the "Bug Deflector" idea. I have an '89 Mustang with a Cervini's Ram Air hood. I spent probably an extra $400 for the ram air kit. From 0-30 MPH, there is very little difference and could be slightly slower. From 30-80, you can feel a SLIGHT bit of increase. At 80+, there is a tremendous bog due to lack of air. I left the kit functional for only about a month. Since then, it's taking up storage space in the basement." Scott Fouts

As illustrated, this means little-to-no air pressure at the scoop. There is a solution, however, tubes can be run from the front of the car to a sealed air cleaner holder, which will give you true ram air. The best part is, this is something you can build at home with very little time and money.

It's called the boundary layer and Dodge got around this with their raised hood scoops such as the one on the T/A Challenger. http://www.rjcars.com/images/70-ta-challenger.gif
The sealed box with the hoses it what Ford used on the T-Bolts andOld used asimliar system on their early 442's.A kit is available from Crites resotration for the T-Bolt system. A company called Ram Air Box also makes kits that are similiar to the T-Bolt system.
ok, I undestand what you are saying.

In practical terms, does that mean a shaker is going to be useless at 80mph as well?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

it is not useless because it is still a cold are intake, but the "ram" part of the air is insignificant. Also keep in mind the flatter the front end the worse the effect so a 65 is going to have less ram air than a 69 that as a little more of a point on the front end.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

The consensus is that the scoop need to be above 1.5" off the bonnet to receive any direct air and avoid the eddies.
On that basis the shaker does not help with any ram air effect asis suggested. But with cold air, if the air is 10 degrees
cooler outside than under the bonnet you have 1 free hp. Typically it would be much more of a difference than 10 degree
so I would expect a 3hp to 8hp difference from the cold air intake.

Jav
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have a functional scoop on my 69. I use it in hopes of lowering under hood temps, which can get pretty HIGH in south Texas with a hotrod. The problem with the K&N Extreme is what happens when you run it thru the car wash and water blows into it or heaven forbid it rains on our toys? That is why I still have the old crome top air cleaner.