Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Project Organization Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
fordification
1st Gear Member

Default Project Organization Opinions

This is my first time putting a car together in pieces, and I'm having a hard time visualizing where to start and how to keep organized. I know the net has everything I need to figure it out, but I don't know where to look or where to start. And I need to think this through more clearly.

Basically, I have a 68 coupe, and here's the plan:

mustang II ifs-purchased
390-owned
motor mounts-needed
flywheel-owned?
t5 w/mcleod bell adapter + clutch kit - needed
t5 crossmember - needed

I haven't started stripping the car down for installing the ifs yet, but it would be good to line up all the components needed to verify the correct position of the suspension to locate the engine mounts. So the unknowns that I don't know is the bellhousing to firewall clearance & t5 crossmember alignment to existing mount location.

I'm thinking it would be best to purchase everything so I can elimate any possible problems. So, bolt up the t5 w/cross member, mount bell housing, use crane to position motor and check where motor mounts need to be. The car originally came with a 6 so I'm not exactly sure where they should be.

Am I doing it wrong, or are there any problem areas I need to be aware of?

The rod&custom guys show it to be a simple install.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
fordification
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Project Organization Opinions

I also need to make-up some kind of spreadsheet inventory for parts so I can keep track of everything.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have a ton of spreadsheets. I have one for a priority list of project. I have a parts list part numbers with prices, ship dates, and distributors so I cankeep track of what has arrived andwhat is backordered. I keep one of these going for each project. For example, Ihave about a 75 line spreadsheet for my engine build. I started ordering parts mid December and have one part left that should arrive this week. If you do notdo this, you will foresure miss something. I sometimes wake up in the morning thinking, man I forgot flywheel bolts and add it as soonas I think of it. You will be amazedhow small your misc section can be if you do this.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
fordification
1st Gear Member

Wow, missed flywheel. Thanks.
And I'm not sure if mine will work or if this is matched to the clutch. Definitely need to research more.
Not sure on the weight. The motor is internally balanced.