Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power seat retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
67MustangCoupe

Default Power seat retrofit

hey i was wondering if anyone here has retrofitted a power seat setup into their mustang. I've found nice leather power seats out of wrecked lexus' and the like on ebay going for around $500....so I'm thinking that if you swapped the tracks and ran power to it (since all the power stuff/motors are all in the seat anyway) then you could have a nice modern seat for yourself. Any thoughts?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Power seat retrofit

I would be hesitant to try that. You would most likely have to modify the seat mount tunnel, or whatever it is called, that the seat tracks bolt to so the seat wouldnt hit the roof. On top of that, you could have a bunch of wires to hook up, prolly not just pos, neg, and ignition. I would bet that there are wires for memory settings and other stuff. Not only that, lots of new cars, especially nice ones, have safety stuff in the seats that could malfunction and mess up your seat. Im talking about serious stuff: airbags, pyrotechnic stuff to detonate during accidents, stuff that is supposed to break when there is an accident, etc. If anything, I would go for an aftermarket unit...

Not to say it cant/shouldnt be done, I would just research it pretty well before dropping $500.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

I put 2006 mustangseats into a 67... had to drop the seat riser platform 2-3"... a buddy of miine hooked up the electronic seat cables for it, I know NOTHING about electrical, so I'll ask him what he did to make it work. I know he had to order the female end from a dealer, and then he just wred the rest up directly... I'll post more once I have talked to him.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I imagine trying to put in that lexus seat would be slightly hard to adapt to the mustang, I know the mustang seats up to the new S197's bolt right in, not sure about the newer ones. Still with the power seat with no mods you would not be able to get in the car because the wheel will be a couple inches above the seat. Even with lowering the platform I have seen it to be uncomfortable at best. Be careful when modifying the seat platforms because they are structural parts of the car.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
67MustangCoupe

Waffles- did you drop the floor yourself? how did you do it? If I have any doubt in how exactly to do it, I'll probably farm it out since I wouldn't want to suddenly be sitting on the pavement while the car is still going 80 down the highway!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: remicks

I imagine trying to put in that lexus seat would be slightly hard to adapt to the mustang, I know the mustang seats up to the new S197's bolt right in, not sure about the newer ones. Still with the power seat with no mods you would not be able to get in the car because the wheel will be a couple inches above the seat. Even with lowering the platform I have seen it to be uncomfortable at best. Be careful when modifying the seat platforms because they are structural parts of the car.
S197's are the newer ones
Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 19stang66

ORIGINAL: remicks

S197's are the newer ones
Yeah thats what I meant I worded it wrong. I tried to say everyone before the S197's, so the New Edge's and before. My english not work so good last night.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

oh ok. Gotcha.