Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

H-2-O IN THE O-I-L

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 AM
mojocat27
1st Gear Member

Default RE: H-2-O IN THE O-I-L

Should've read ur whole post, lol.....overheating too. Sounds like a head gasket, lets pray its not a cracket head or block : )
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Just so I understand the whole story.

Your car was stolen
Your car was recovered
Your car now puts water in the oil
You took your car to your 'friend' who wrote you an estimate to repair based on water in the oil that involved a new block and a full rebuild of the motor
You submitted this estimate to the insurance company and asked them to write you a check for this as damage from when it was stolen
The insurance company said "that's more than the car is worth and it will total out the policy because you didn't have enough coverage" (sound like you had standard insurance)

Does that about sum it up?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAY68_347

the insurance company is going to try and jew me down anyway
I cant help in your situation but I have to say something...
I am not Jewish, but its not cool to use the word "Jew" like that. I would not be surprised if some of the guys on this forum are Jewish and I know they wouldn't appreciate it, regardless if you think its harmless or not.

Good luck getting the situation resolved with as little pain as possible.
I didn't catch that, I kind of tend to "skim read" the longer posts filtering out some of the fluffy stuff....

Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I am not Jewish, but its not cool to use the word "Jew" like that. I would not be surprised if some of the guys on this forum are Jewish and I know they wouldn't appreciate it, regardless if you think its harmless or not.

+1
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Yep, not cool.

If your car is worth more than $3,800, they will fix it. They may need convincing that it is worth more. If you have a lawyer in the family or as a friend, ask them to place a call or write a letter to the insurance company. Lawyers will get more attention than you will as the insured. They will try to "lowball" you, and if you don't fight back they win.

This kind of thing happened to me when I was 19 with a '69 Corvette. They told me my car was totalled and only worth $1,200, since it was just a 10 year old Chevy 2 door. My dad's friend convinced them the car was worth closer to $10k (this was in 1980) and they quickly came around to his way of thinking.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
jawilla

OH MY GOD, I DIDNT MEAN TO OFFEND ANY JEWISH PEOPLEOUT THERE BUT I MEANT THAT THE INSURANCE WAS GOING TO TRY AND TALK ME DOWN ON THE PRICE. SORRY YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME BUT YOU REALLY SHOULD GET OUT MORE, THERES A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEM OF SPEECH IN THE WORLD, YOU SHOULD TRY IT.

“Jew†as an adjective (“Jew lawyerâ€) is an ethnic insult; the word is “Jewish.†But people who object to “Jew†as a noun are being oversensitive. Most Jew$ are proud to be called Jew$. The expression “to Jew someone down"—an expression meaning “to bargain for a lower priceâ€â€”reflects a grossly insulting stereotype and should be avoided in all contexts.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If it were up to me I would like it if everyone (including myself) would not be so sensitive to words, but fact is we can allbeinsulted by words, to one degree or another, at one time or another.

This being the case, we are better off avoiding words and phrasesthat we knowwill cause others insult. There are some folks who would be insulted by your choice of words, this is fact that is really beyond dispute.

I am not a PC dude at all, some things that offend people need to be said sometimes, but casual use ofquestionable languageor phraseology isseldom necessary or helpful.

I think you made a mistake in your choice of words.Most of the time whena mistakeis acknowledged by the offender,the mistake often becomesnothing of substanceto reasonable people, but an attempt to blindly justify a blatanterror isseldommet with favor...

just my take on things...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I agree with JMD. I'm far from PC in my daily life, but that doesn't belong on a forum such as this. I don't need to get out more, sounds like you need to grow up.

Also, all caps is like shouting.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

I think JMD put it best but there are others here who understand why I said what I said.
Its just a matter of principle.

—reflects a grossly insulting stereotype and should be avoided in all contexts.
It seems like you should understand the issue if you simply read what you copied and pasted.

I think my choice of words was direct, to the point, and nonconfrontational. But if you cannot see the err of your ways, who am I to judge?

Jewish people who are offended by their religion being being used in a derogatory and/or stereotypical context, or as a "noun", would not feel that they are being oversensitive. Suggesting that I need to "get out more" is highlighting your own ignorance. Perhaps if you were to get out more, you would see that not everyone is as naive as you.