Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I'm in trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm in trouble!!!

Can ya maybe take a picture?
Off the top of my head it was a fuel line maybe...
Old 05-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Shamus

i know you weren't trying to offend me and all, but if i don't do things myself then i would never learn anything about the car, sure there are certain things that i never would try, but for stuff i can do, i would rather learn from error than not at all.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Do they offer a shop class at your school? How about a Junior College in your area that offers a shop class? Does your father or maybe a good friend know about auto mechanics? Maybe you should consult with someone who does know about cars, and yes, get the shop manual.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shamus

...if i don't do things myself then i would never learn anything about the car...i would rather learn from error than not at all.
You've certainly got the right attitude and should be commended for it. But having said that - there is a right way and a not so right way to learn by doing. And thinking the valve covers are the headers and removing them just doesn't make sense. Did you use new gaskets and sealer when you reinstalled your valve covers? If not, you could have quite the mess when you fire that engine up again. Asking for tips first (instead of after you've broken something) will save you headaches and money and possibly a digit or two.

To do something for the purpose of learning - read about it first. Then try it. Again, I say this with the kindest intentions: if you don't have at least some idea of what you're doing, you can wind up hurting yourself pretty bad! Get the Shop Manual, subscribe to Mustang Monthly and Mustang&Fords magazines, and read, read, read.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

That's some really good advice Dan. I grew up on a farm and worked on all kinds of machinery as a kid, but not before my father taught me how. As a result, I can fix just about anything, but I have the experience. So, it's either learn from someone who knows what they are doing, or read about it, and come on here often to ask questions before doing anything you don't know how to do.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

You can also search the internet for information
Search for diagrams and exploded views of engines, search
for your year of mustang, or your engine size.
Never forget about the library at your school or town as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

That's some really good advice Dan. I grew up on a farm and worked on all kinds of machinery as a kid, but not before my father taught me how. As a result, I can fix just about anything, but I have the experience. So, it's either learn from someone who knows what they are doing, or read about it, and come on here often to ask questions before doing anything you don't know how to do.
I was a father's right hand as a kid too. My dad was a mechanic who worked on engines for over 40 years, and I was always there to watch and help (as long as I "stayed out of his light ) By engines, I mean he can fix anything that you put gas in. He worked for a Ford dealership, lawnmower shops, worked on Semis that broke down out on the road and regular cars. Now that he is "retired" he makes a few bucks on the side working on lawnmowers, garden equipment and outboard motors. The shops in Tallahassee send him stuff when they can't fix it
Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I hope we haven't discouraged you Shamus. You sound like a bright kid who just wants to learn about your car. We are just trying to help you learn the right way, so please don't get discouraged. Most of us have been wrenching for many years, so lean on us for advice. We are here to help, not discourage.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Shamus

i know, and i really apprciate the advise too, and i completely understand your thoughts, and i know your trying to help...thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

So did ya ever find your VIN # and decode it?

Quick Reply: I'm in trouble!!!