Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seatbelt seatbelt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
NvrSumR
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
So something like this? Here is what happened.
That's encouraging
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ouch /\
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

that steering coloumn of death is pretty bad. i met a guy, ( he was tiny at about 7'2, body builder) he worked for a moving company, and got four mans pay cuz he could move pianos, fridges ect, by himself. either way, one night he was driving around late at night, hit some black ice on an off ramp, and crashed. the steering couloumn slammed into his chest, broke a bunch of his ribs, colapsing a lung he died a few days later....but the coloumn, broke in two places...
Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i always thought 3pt belt would prevent that.
But here's another hint: If you add any belts that will hold your body in place then you WILL NEED a headrest. Otherwise you might just break your neck.
The headrest is a completely wrong name for what it does. you actually never have your head rested on it while driving.
When you get into a front collision the body will move forward, the belts will then snap you back causing the whole body to lift a bit. This is the reason why a headrest should be adjusted in such a way that the middle of it is at the top of your head while sitting ...

Kalli
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

try www.gotbelts.com
Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i always thought 3pt belt would prevent that.
But here's another hint: If you add any belts that will hold your body in place then you WILL NEED a headrest. Otherwise you might just break your neck.
The headrest is a completely wrong name for what it does. you actually never have your head rested on it while driving.
When you get into a front collision the body will move forward, the belts will then snap you back causing the whole body to lift a bit. This is the reason why a headrest should be adjusted in such a way that the middle of it is at the top of your head while sitting ...

Kalli
I was in a '90 5.0 and got hit from behind in light traffic at 50 MPH on the freeway. The headrest was all the way up. My head stillwent over the top of the headrest for a split second as my body moved back and up. Part of this is because I have the seat back at a slight angle, not 90°. As bad as it sounds, I was only a little sore and didn't get hurt. If the headrest was in the lower position I might have broken my neck. I didn't see the accident coming, so I was pretty relaxed when I got hit. The car had extremely serious damage front and rear (I hit a Volvo, who hit a bus).

JMHO, but I would recommend keeping headrests at a higher level if you tilt your seat back. Shoulder or 3 point belts are great. If you really want to go all-out, you could probably install a newer Mustang steering wheel with an airbag. Is that possible?

CP
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

These are the seats going in my '66 fastback with five point harnesses, just so I can have a quality seat with a secure harness. Also remember, your seat needs to be well secured in the car also:

This was the result of a dumbass in a Honda turning in front of me on a nice sunny day. I hit him at 40 with no braking at all, but was wearing a 5 point harness with a collapsable column. Neither my wife or I were hurt:

Here are the seats in my coupe:

Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Oh, in case you were worried, we can and did rebuild her:

Old 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i like that cobra coupe i want to build one with a 2.3 turbo
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
67ragtop
2nd Gear Member

What about 3 Point belts for '67 Convertibles? With no locking latch on the seat backs, is there a 3 point belt that works for my car?

fakesnakes, How do you like that Daytona Coupe? The Factory Five Racing shop is about 30 minutes away from where I live. I've been meaning to go have a look sometime. Is this car very different from a Cobra - other than the body. It looks like an 1960's Ferrari to me.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt seatbelt!