Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seatbelt seatbelt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
66 stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Seatbelt seatbelt!

Hey guys, its been a while since ive been on the forums, my mustang has been under a cover for a while since ive been so busy with school and other annoyin stuff. But, i got my license, and im trying to get the car roadworthy for some rollin around. My immediate problem is seatbelts.

The mother wont let me drive with just lap belts, but the belts i had previously ordered from mustangsunlimited were too wide to fit between my seats and the doorframe. So, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions about belts or seats (possibly racing seats? dunno), with emphasis on cheap but effective...

thanks all.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I got 3 point belts from CJ's for about $129. Color matched and easy to install.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM
mustdoc
2nd Gear Member

Your mom is correct - lap belts are not safe (better than nothing but...) 3-point seat belts are an easy upgrade - try Mustang Unlimited or Virginia Classic Mustang... reasonable prices and good customer support for the most part.

Other safety upgrades to consider: Disc Brakes, seats with head restraints, new suspension, Bright LED tail lights... there are others but that is a good start.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Don't tell her this, but if you get in a front end collision hard enough to whack you into the steering wheel, it's quite possible it's going to be hard enough to spear the solid steering column through your chest. Seat belts aren't going to prevent that...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Joe67
Banned

thanks starfury, im really looking forward to driving now =D
lol is there anything to prevent this steering column of death effect?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Starfury
Don't tell her this, but if you get in a front end collision hard enough to whack you into the steering wheel, it's quite possible it's going to be hard enough to spear the solid steering column through your chest. Seat belts aren't going to prevent that...
I've know about this. Also a few other bad things. That is why I am going to upgrade to a seat that is similar to a racing seat and going with a 4 point belt.

The seat is similar to this. http://store.summitracing.com/largei...grm-15-650.jpg

Last edited by 1slow67; 10-14-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe67
thanks starfury, im really looking forward to driving now =D
lol is there anything to prevent this steering column of death effect?
Collapsible Steering column might be your best bet....

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto...umn/index.html
Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Mustangs started getting collapsible columns in late '67, so you may or may not be ok, Joe I know I'm not. I've come to terms with the fact that if I get in a nasty front ender, I'm done. I drive accordingly.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i plan on swapping mine out :P i wanna go with a tilt wheel and a manual rack setup
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Starfury
Mustangs started getting collapsible columns in late '67, so you may or may not be ok, Joe I know I'm not. I've come to terms with the fact that if I get in a nasty front ender, I'm done. I drive accordingly.
So something like this? Here is what happened.

ORIGINAL: 6ck Pony
Yea no problem. I hit the side of a semi car hauler at aprx. 50mph. It was night, raining and I didn't see him until the last second. Maybe 20 feet. He was lengthwise across the road. I remember very little: The color of the car hauler, then someone saying the ambulance is on the way and seeing the steering column in my face and my teeth felt funny. Then waking up in the hospital. Since the mustang only had lap belts, my body went forward and the column came at me. I fractured two vertebrae in my neck, broke my jaw in two places, and messed up the inside of my throat. Everything has healed and is getting better. Except after 2 surgeries in my throat I still can't swallow right. So I have a stomach feeding tube, but things are progressing.

Last edited by 1slow67; 10-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt seatbelt!