Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

roll bar + 5 pnt harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Carlos

I usually use the wraparounds for the roll bar, but your seat needs the shoulder belt cutouts or the belts will keep falling off your shoulders. The "crotch strap" (sounds like some kind of **** tool) is actually called a submarine belt and keeps you from sliding out under the belt if your seat has any recline to it at all (most do). Here are some harnesses including 4 point, but as Gary points out, most are SFI approved, not DOT approved:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

If you want one for street use only, try this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Also keep in mind, anything with a rear cross brace is going to block out the rear seats.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Unless you race or drive like a crazy person (you probably shouldn't drive then anyway),
why not just get 3 point belts like the rest of us? The 3rd point could easily be attached
to the roof frame and it would look stock. There are even inexpensive kits for this. If you have a convert, then just attach the 3rd pt to the side of a simple "U" shape roll bar, easy.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 10-16-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
Unless you race or drive like a crazy person (you probably shouldn't drive then anyway),
why not just get 3 point belts like the rest of us? The 3rd point could easily be attached
to the roof frame and it would look stock. There are even inexpensive kits for this. If you have a convert, then just attach the 3rd pt to the side of a simple "U" shape roll bar, easy.
Shoulder straps came out in (I believe) '69 and were an option in my car. I installed a headliner in a 69 with these belts. The strap clips on to the roof, and is a royal pain as you must fold it and tuck it away above you every time you use the car. It also requires it's own buckle to be bolted to the floor. This is an option, but stay away from this choice as it's completely impractable unless you only drive once in a blue moon.

And Norm is right on with roll bars. The day you get T-boned is the day that your roll bar cracks your skull open since you don't have a helmet.

CP
Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
Shoulder straps came out in (I believe) '69 and were an option in my car. I installed a headliner in a 69 with these belts. The strap clips on to the roof, and is a royal pain as you must fold it and tuck it away above you every time you use the car. It also requires it's own buckle to be bolted to the floor. This is an option, but stay away from this choice as it's completely impractable unless you only drive once in a blue moon.

And Norm is right on with roll bars. The day you get T-boned is the day that your roll bar cracks your skull open since you don't have a helmet.

CP
Sacramento Mustang (and other dotcoms) have retractable 3pt belts that have a stock look. They operate like the more modern belts (1980s-90s). My wife even likes them over the stock ones that came in 71, (and she's picky-picky).
Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
ky
America ftw

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
cause i dont like 3 points. and 5 points look badass. i will get some bucket seats to go along with them too.

and i dont care if they are DOT aproved or not. like i said, im not going to organized races or autocrossing.

i just want to be safe from a accident while driving on the road.

and seat belt laws are not required in california for older cars. i think the cutoff date is like 1974 or something. so no worrries there.

basically, i want my car to be a mean street machine. and a rollbar and 5 points would top it off.

thanks to whoever suggested the harnesses at summit. i didnt even think of that haha.

i just need to either make a 4 point roll bar or find one thats not retardedly expensive.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM
ky
America ftw

Originally Posted by Starfury
Also keep in mind, anything with a rear cross brace is going to block out the rear seats.
its removeable.

and i will just remove it if anyone ever rides in the backseat (which, if ever, will be hardly.)

and if i need to remove it, then i will wear just the lap belts of the 5 point harness. cause if im driving with people in the backseat, then obviously im not going to be racing or driving in any way which requires the shoulder straps.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
ky
America ftw

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro

CP
what about the foam pads that wrap around the bar?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There are different formulations of foam. SFI and FIA that I know of. Link . Vastly different properties.

Here's some more reading, and since this thread pertains to what you're looking to do, read through it for anything you can grab and use. Pay attention to the more recent posts, and particularly those by swhite3, blainefab, and gt40. See also post 385 in this Huge Link .

Norm
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by true66gt
cause i dont like 3 points. and 5 points look badass. i will get some bucket seats to go along with them too.

and i dont care if they are DOT aproved or not. like i said, im not going to organized races or autocrossing.

i just want to be safe from a accident while driving on the road.

and seat belt laws are not required in california for older cars. i think the cutoff date is like 1974 or something. so no worrries there.
If your car came with seat belts, you're required to have them. Your 66 had them, therefore you're required to keep them. A CHP might not give you a ticket for a racing harness, but they could, and they just as easily might if you're not extremely cooperative.

Quick Reply: roll bar + 5 pnt harnesses