Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Good bye Circuit City, hello new speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJs 66coupe
I just might run by there in the next couple of days and just see what all is left. Probably not much but you never know.

Right now all I have dividing the trunk from the back seat is a flimsy particle board thing. I was thinking about maybe getting a sheet of metal to weld in there to divide the two and then I might be able to mount the retractors on that. Has anybody ever put a piece of sheet metal like that in to divide the trunk?
I divided my trunk with a piece of sheet metal, it really seemed to strengthen this up and just looks awesome. It also makes me feel safer since the gas tank is firmly divided from the cab...

Last edited by 66JameStang; 01-20-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66JameStang
I divided my trunk with a piece of sheet metal, it really seemed to strengthen this up and just looks awesome. It also makes me feel safer since the gas tank is firmly divided from the cab...
I was thinking it might add a bit of strength to the rear of the car since I am looking into doing some of that kind of thing with subframes, etc prior to building an engine. On the plus, I have some left over Candy Apple paint at my bud's shop from when we painted the roof so we could paint it to match what is already there.

I noticed that convertibles seem to have a solid (or more solid) piece in there when I was checking out the '65 my bud is redoing for his client.

The down side....if you lock your keys in the trunk it will prevent the "easy way" into it, LOL!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Talking

Yeah for sure it definitely prevents the crawl access ... I will take some pictures of it from behind the seat later...

Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

My guess is that Circuit City will re-organize before or just shortly after they pull the plug. They are probably waiting in line for a "Bail Out" like everyone else (seems to be a VERY SMART business move these days), somehow I don't think they just don't have the clout, but I've been fooled before. I think better deals can be had on line. For me if I travel to TN where Circuit City and Best Buy are side by side, the taxes are like 9 or 10%. If they give you this off, then you break even. The Best Buy on the VA side (where there is no compition) prices are usually 30 to 40 % more than the store in TN. I guess you can ask if they will price match themselves. They have it figured pretty good.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor
They are probably waiting in line for a "Bail Out" like everyone else (seems to be a VERY SMART business move these days), .
I have kicked around the idea of starting my own tax firm so I could belly up at the bail out bar....but somehow I don't think it would fly.

Besides, I have a job doing tax work / accounting / property tax and whatever else needs doing that pays well plus provides benefits for me and the family.

Just due to health care insurance costs these days I have never had any real interest in starting my own firm, even with being able to get insurance through the AICPA

It doesn't sound to me like Circuit City is going to make it though. From what I have read they really are trying to liquidate.

Last edited by SJs 66coupe; 01-20-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Circuit City won't emerge from this bankruptcy. They have been trying for the last month to secure their credit lines with no luck. If they were trying to stay in business they wouldn't have contracted the sales of all the inventory to the liquidation companies. They will be long gone once all is sold.

I went there yesterday looking for a new Onkyo 7.1 surround system but was also disappointed about the 10% off. I'll try back in a couple weeks for a real deal.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

All too many times have I seen sizeable retail operations collapse due to, you guessed it, good ole corporate greed. One local, which operated near 100 stores went belly up a few years ago. The employees lost their jobs and the towns lost a place to shop. The CEO's salery was in excess of 66,000,000.00. Just a tad high for that size operation. I haven't read much about Circuit City, but there seems to be a trend, threaten to collapse and someone will throw money at you. If there is a market for their product, someone will rise to the occasion and be there to sell it. On the flip, if I was being payed 66 mil a year, I would retire after one week. If Circuit City bites the dust, I guarantee someone will walk away with a fat wallet.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Well I have to say all 556 Circuit City Stores in the USA are being closed. Their books were so bad that Blockbuster turned them down. They will remain open in Canada (with roughly 3,000 employees) Sadly 30,000 will lose their jobs this friday and will only have 60 days of pay from what I hear.

The retail market will not be able to absorb those people due to poor sales figures over the holiday season. I really feel bad for them. I know once the liquidation company took over the CC store around the corner they raised the prices on some items then claimed to have lowered them 30-40% off.

Oh and I work for Best Buy as a part time job and to pay for my mustang. I will say I have gotten some great deals on items and just started buying some things for the car.

I bought several rolls of Dynamat Extreme, enough to do almost the entire car, and plan on buying the rest of what I need with a big savings.

I really liked CC in the mid 90's and like EFIvert I would love to get a newer 7.1 Onkyo Receiver to replace my current one, but I have other bills to pay and I guess if we don't start carrying the brand at Best Buy I'll be looking online someday...or going with a different brand when I do upgrade.

Sadly I have alot to do before I can get to putting a sound system in my mustang.

Congrats SJ on the new speakers and hat rack.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJs 66coupe
Has anybody ever put a piece of sheet metal like that in to divide the trunk?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
ky
America ftw

i bought one of those diamond plate dividers from baddog, super awesome.

im sure he has some more hed be willing to sell.

Quick Reply: Good bye Circuit City, hello new speakers!