Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air conditioning upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Chaos13
1st Gear Member

Default Air conditioning upgrade

I am considering an Air Conditioning upgrade. I like the look of the original under dash blower housing (its going on a 65 coupe). Does any one have any experience with the restored factory units sold by classic auto air? Are these kits tough to put in (my car has the interior and engine out)

Also, does anyone have experience with both the original ford under dash blower housing and the more modern "vent" style kits. Is one really better than the other?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Chaos13
1st Gear Member

Sorry all. I just noticed the A/C post from a day ago. If anyone is still inclined to respond I would enjoy hearing more about your experience.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 AM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

not really sure, I have a aftermarket kit from the factory and it is a pretty simple hook up. If you are looking to save some room there are some truly awesome all in one heating and cooling units that take the place of the under the dash heater unit, I have heard some pretty good things about these units, here is a link to what I am talking about...
http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=64_...g_Ford_AC.html
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

IMHO going away from the underdash unit in an early Mustang is a BIG mistake!

To start with, unlike a car with a bench seat, the underdash unit is NOT in the way. Secondly, the unit looks perfectly in place in these cars. Thirdly, they do a GREAT job, even here in the Texas heat.

Going to one of those underdash units doesn't make you any cooler inside. They don't look better IMHO and there is just absolutely no need for them.

I have literally been doing auto air conditioning work since I was an elementary school kid hanging out in my Dad's shop in the fifties. I have A/C certification from the EPA as well as ASE. I wouldn't trade a good old Ford underdash unit using R12, for all the aftermarket a/c's ever made for these cars.

My $0.02,
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

I am glad to get a perspective from someone that knows quite a bit about air conditioning, I was thinking about an under the dash unit and was just throwing it out there, if the stock AC unit is better I would be more than happy to stiick with it...
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I just installed a "Sure Fit" from vintage air. "Sure" you can make it fit, but I was expecting much more for the money I paid. I could have bought a generic unit and saved about half, and do the same. I had some troubles with the install and it was not a good fit. One of the hanging bolts was a problem to get to (POOR DESIGN) and the heater hoses didn't line up like I thought they should. Course if they would ship a 2 foot tall kid, so that you could hold him by the ankles and shove him under the dash, it would make the install easier. The last unit I done was a generic cheepo (around 300 or less), and seems I had a lot less trouble. I did have to make the hoses though, but that was simple. That was another issue with the sure fit, one of the hoses was a bit short. A couple more inches (maybe just 2) would have made a big difference. Also one of the retainers for a control cable was broke. I was able to modify one off of the original to work. Also the cables with the kit are crappy and I used the originals. I'm not sure what to recommend, but for me, I'm going back to the generics. Just my opinion.