Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Stang Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

At first I really wanted to dislike this idea. This is definitely an interesting project. I look forward to seeing its completion.

As for your E brake cables. You can get new Raybestos cables for the Versailles from Rock Auto. Thats where I got mine. You'll have to make your own intermediate cable though.

Is that A T5 or AOD?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:34 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the idea -- I'll look into it. The tranny's a Ford Motorsport T5.

Good news is I found a garage locally that specializes in Mustangs. They should be able to provide me some good advice once the car finally gets here!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:17 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Wow! What a project. Are there any automotive magazines or other media following your build. I wonder if there is someone out there that is willing to pay for a story like yours.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Eagan_MN

Wow, this is really awesome, i like the way it is comming. I am really excited to hear what happens
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

I guess I haven't updated this in a while! Unfortunately there isn't much to update. The motor controller (the 'brains' of the system) had some issues and had to be pulled out, sent back to the manufacturer, repaired, sent back, and re-installed.

That's done and the car is moving again under its own power. Now it's back to driving it, seeing what needs to be adjusted, then re-driving it, etc.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 AM
darkngtz
2nd Gear Member

wow! this truly is an amazing build, not something id consider for my stang but one id definitely take pictures of at a show!!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Eagan_MN

Well Hello!? We need sum vids and pics!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Need more updates
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Gun Jam

Yeah did the LiFe packs turn out to be a bad idea??
Hows it going?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm back

After a LONG break from the forum -- I'm back.

Believe it or not, I still don't have the car. It's been very frustrating. There have been multiple problems, from the controller issue mentioned above to other more mundane (but tricky) issues.

It's been harder than imagined to get all this sophisticated electronics to fit and work in a 45-year old car. But we think we're basically done now. There are three remaining issues to work out.

First, and most importantly, the car has a jerky start unless you punch it. Joe (my converter) has been working on this for months and has been going back and forth with the controller manufacturer. He thinks he's close and will figure it out this week.

Second, the heater's not putting out as much heat as it should. Not something that's going to hold up the project, but still something I'd like to get working correctly.

Third, the speedometer needs to be calibrated. It seems to be working, but it's a tricky thing to get it working properly off the controller's electronic output signal. It hasn't been a high priority, but I want to be sure it's really working before Joe ships the car out to me.

So, if all goes well the car should be ready to ship by next week. Then another week or two to get it here (from Oregon to NY). Then the restoration work begins.

Quick Reply: E-Stang Build Thread