Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

t5 converion help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
jesse86

Default t5 converion help!!!!!!!!

im almost done with my t5 converion on my mustang i was told i can use my stock drive shaft that all i need is the replaced the SLIP YOKE i pechice on from cj pony parts but what u joint do i need to make it work?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Depending on your old transmission the old yoke might work. Slip it in the back of the new trans and see it fits. The drive shaft normally will need to be shortened for your conversion but you might get lucky. You need about 1 inch of yoke sticking out of the back of the trans with the drive shaft installed. I would see if you old drive shaft and old yoke will go in the car and then check how much yoke is sticking out of the back of the trans.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Gun Jam

the if you had a v8 with c4 before and your t5 is a v8 t5 then the slip yoke from the c4 will fit... hell it might even function properly if your lucky

When you install it check for play in the yoke / tailshaft of the trans. If the the yoke or tailshaft bushing is worn they will need to be replaced

You want to shoot for .750 inch of tailshaft / yoke gap any larger is bad and can create vibration any shorter and you run the risk of slamming the yoke into the tailshaft.

Ill be surprised if the new yoke you ordered even fits your driveshaft...

Best of luck

-Gun
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

it isn't required to change the u joints for the sake of the conversion but you should have it done anyway while the driveshaft is out of the car. I finished my t5 conversion last week and when I took my driveshaft out my u joints were practically falling apart. They were causing a lot of unnecessary vibration at highway speeds and now that I have fresh u joints installed the difference is night and day. Take your driveshaft to a good machine shop, I was able to have my driveshaft straightened, balanced and had the u joints replaced for under $100.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Gun Jam

Well for what its worth...in hindsight I should have abandoned the original DS straight away instead of all the crap I have done to it...Although my results are not typical..You should have better luck

-Gun
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Like said before its a hit or miss thing. It all depends on your original yoke and how your car was made, these cars were not made with the precision today. Also if you had an original 3 speed like me the yoke will slide right in the t5. I got lucky so far, mine fits right, no shortening required and no vibration. I do have a t5 yoke and I am going to put it on the driveshaft still though, it is the part that is meant for this. You can get an adapter u joint to use your original shaft and t5 yoke.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 AM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

Something else I noticed while doing the swap was that the transmission mount that came in the conversion kit I bought was identical to the original that was on the 3 speed. So that makes 2 parts (yoke and mount) that I didn't have to spend money on replacing. The yoke I don't mind so much, better safe than sorry and after 40 years it could use a fresh one but the transmission mount was perfectly fine...wasted money.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

if the old yoke wont work or if you just want a new one, you should be able to find a yoke that will work with the tranny and with your driveline.

I imagine that your driveshaft uses a 1310 series u-joint, buy the yoke to match the shaft to avoid using a "hybrid" u-joint. My guess is the stock t-5 joint is a 1330...

Remember, useing the "right" t-5 yoke with the bigger u-joint is of little value when useing the stock shaft that has three 1310 yokes... I think the 1310 joints will live just fine at 300 or maybe 350 hp.

(And that is no yoke man!)