Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Highest Compression for pump gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

All fuels aren't the same necessarily. 91 at one pump in one state might not be the same quality as 91 at another pump in another state. And sometimes the fuel delivery guys get lazy when they have extra fuel left, and pump 87 into a 91 tank etc. And again, compression you can run is dependent on the engine build, if you build for highest possible cylinder pressure/compression within the rpm range, then you won't need as much static compression. That's the primary reason that blower engines have much lower static compression, the boost really fills the cylinder and offsets it, often INCREASING the actual compression above that of static. It's going to depend on where you want power as well, since that will to some extent dictate camshaft profile.

As far as E85 goes, you can't even get it in a lot of places. I doubt it will ever take off as a viable alternative fuel on a national level, there's too many problems associated with transporting it long distances. It's a great fuel to run in an engine though, but I know out here in California I've yet to see it at a pump anywhere, though I've heard in a few places it can be found. If we could find a way to get E85 from something that can be commonly and easily grown in many places, that'd be great. Alcohol is a different beast than a petroleum based fuel, but when setup right will always perform better.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302

As far as E85 goes, you can't even get it in a lot of places. I doubt it will ever take off as a viable alternative fuel on a national level, there's too many problems associated with transporting it long distances. It's a great fuel to run in an engine though, but I know out here in California I've yet to see it at a pump anywhere, though I've heard in a few places it can be found. If we could find a way to get E85 from something that can be commonly and easily grown in many places, that'd be great. Alcohol is a different beast than a petroleum based fuel, but when setup right will always perform better.

Well the EPA envisions an additional 24,000 E85 Stations in the next ten years, they are pursuing it to get cleaner air. There arent really many problems with long distance transportation, that is one of the myths perpetuated by oil companies. Oil companies are doing what any business will do when there is competition, they will try to kill it or minimize its effect on them. Nevertheless ethanol fuel is coming, and its on the way big even if right now it doesnt look like it.

California is installing more pumps, you can find them at
http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/board,18.0.html

and info on converting your carb at
http://e85forum.com/viewforum.php?f=...73fb620c24dd37

Without getting into an argument over it, because I really dont care if you use it or not, or where it comes from, I merely provide correct information about ethanol fuel and running it in old cars. To me its rather stupid to pay $6-$10 a gallon for race gas when you can make more power with something you can get at a gas station for less than $2/gallon right now. Im not trying to convert anyone, or dissuade anyone from using gasoline, gas will be here for a long time yet, it just kinda sucks as a fuel in performance engines.

The fact that even people in urban areas can make it themselves form multiple sources means you dont need a station near you if you are willing to do some work and learn a bit. You can make it for less than $1 a gallon pretty easy, and legally.

FWIW you can go over 13:1 with E85 easily, 15:1 is doable with a decent tune. On neat ethanol, or E100/E98 with no gas in it, you can go over 19:1, although most of our engines are not capable of that much without a strengthened bottom end and head gaskets. Boosted engines make a bunch more power on ethanol due to the improved cooling of the intake charge and the ability to use proper ignition curves for best power. Its a pump fuel, and it will be closer soon. Availability is currently the main drawback to those of us with old high compression engines. I have to drive 32 miles one way to get it from a station, but I have to go 14 miles to get premium too.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't mind running ethanol in my engine at all, but at 9.4:1 compression it's probably rather pointless. If it were available around here for cheap then I'd definitely build an engine with like 13:1 and run it. Like you said, better performance and a lot cleaner.