Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Distribution Block

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:49 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
Does your car have a return spring? Might try that first.
No 64-73 Mustang had one, the master cylinder was supposed to provide that function. If all else fails, it might be something to consider, but try the "right" way first.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:22 PM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

I'm just trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting my problem. I don't want to explain it all over again, for that you can just read the first few postings. Here's what I noticed the other day. I jacked up the front end of the car. I turned the front wheels by hand and they spinned flawlessly. Then I started up the car turned the wheels again, no problem, then I pressed the brakes and once again the pedal didn't come back up all the way and I noticed the front wheels were locked ( as in I wasn't able to turn them by hand). Now before anyone assumes that there's an issue with the front brakes, keep in mind I had only jacked up the front of the car, I didn't check the rear brakes yet so not sure if all 4 are locking up.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

You have an issue that is NOT a RPV issue...

IMO a brake system should be dependably flawless.

For safety sake a dual system should be used. (dual master cylinder)

Neither the front or the rear brakes should lock up faster/easier than their counterpart....

For everything to work this way, some setups will require a combination valve or proportioning valve, but not all. SOME applications DO NOT NEED these valves... The "proportioning" is (and/or can be) "built in"...

All drum brakes will need a RPV, but some RPVs are built into master cylinders.

The above CRAP implemented with a healthy dose of common sense will usually get the job done.

That said,,,, this specific instance needs to be addressed as to why the pedal does not return correctly and fix the problem..

I can agree that a spring might not be the "right way" to address the problem, it very well MAY be an effective and safe fix...

That said, I would feel better in knowing WHY the pedal won't come up everytime...
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm still betting on the power booster check valve.

I was under the impression disc/drum cars had a prop valve built into the distribution block, in addition to the pressure differential switch. In any case, the replacement block I got in my CSRP kit is a non-adjustable combo valve unit.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I'm still betting on the power booster check valve.

I was under the impression disc/drum cars had a prop valve built into the distribution block, in addition to the pressure differential switch. In any case, the replacement block I got in my CSRP kit is a non-adjustable combo valve unit.
This is the 67-69 setup (well, the early 67 had the cylindrical proportioning valve mounted back near the rear axle):