Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Questions about 66 mustang coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
firetkjames

Question Questions about 66 mustang coupe

First, can the headlights be upgraded to xenon, halogen, or anything else that is stronger than original headlights without installing a wiring harness(just plug in and go)? Next, are 65 & 66 instrument gauge panels interchangeable? Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You can easily upgrade to a sealed beam halogen replacement. If you get a regular 35 watt 6024 halogen replacement bulb you should be ok.

Get a Sylvania Xtravison. The bulb number is 6024. I think XV6024 is the part number for the xtravisions. I have found that these bulbs combined with a relay kit offer very good lighting.

The relay harness only takes about 15-30 minutes to install.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...rly_bronco.htm

I would recommend the relay kit, because the factory switch was never intended to carry the load of halogen bulbs. Most replacement sealed beam halogen bulbs are 35-40 watts. The Xtravison are actually 55 low and 65 high which is what most of the modern cars capsule type bulbs are.

Also stay away from halogen bulbs that claim whiter light. They are just tinted capsules to change the light color and actually reduce the light comming out of the bulb.

Don't upgrade to xenon HID or whatever. Thats not DOT approved and looks out of place anyway.

We have a Maxima that has HID and I wish I could convert it to halogen. I hate HID in bad weather like fog or rain. Its also just annoying since it gives off false colors.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 05-28-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
firetkjames

Thanks for the advice. What can you tell me about the relay kit?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The relay kit just gets power from the starter solenoid and grounds to the chassis/body. Then one connector is plugged into 1 of your cars original headlight connectors. The other 2 headlight connectors on the harness go to your headlights. Its really very easy to do. It uses the power from one of the factory headlight connectors to turn the relays on.

I don't know if you read it or not. I edited the first line of my previous post about running regular halogen 6024 bulbs. You can do that without upgrading anything. I did it for a few years. I just found that the high beams would put too much draw on the switch and the circuit breaker would trip.

This is the setup I have on my Mustang. I feel that the light output is better than it is on my 95 F150 with new headlight assemblies and XV bulbs.

I mounted my relays on the driver side of the front inner fender apron.

The best part is besides the better lighting it retains a factory apperance besides the relays. See them there next to the coil on the driver side inner fender.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 05-28-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM
firetkjames

Thanks again I really appreciate it. I'm not a mechanic at all so I need to do the simplest upgrade possible. Your advice helps a lot. Do you know about the instrument gauge panels? Sorry to ask dumb questions but, I am ignorant when it comes to mechanical matters!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

First, can the headlights be upgraded to xenon, halogen, or anything else that is stronger than original headlights without installing a wiring harness(just plug in and go)?
Yes, the quartz lamps commonly available as replacements are brighter, and still within the limit of the stock circuit breaker.

Next, are 65 & 66 instrument gauge panels interchangeable?
No. The ammeter was totally different, making the firewall plugs a different configuration, too:

Unless you mean you have the 64-65 Falcon-style, and you want to swap to the 5-gauge. You'll need a 66 cluster, an oil pressure sender and extension, a few small items, and a Saturday with nothing else to do. You'll also need instructions on how to alter the 65 wiring. I haven't seen any decent instructions on the 'net, but I know where you can get them.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
firetkjames

Thanks. The reason I asked is I just bought a 66 but the instrument panel looks like a 65. The speedometer is rectangular not round. Did some 66's come out with this style instrument panel or was it changed out at some point?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Is something wrong with your instrument cluster?

The round speedometer was for 65 GT and all 66. The long style was 64.5 and 65. Are you sure its a 66 and doesn't just have a 66 grille on a 65.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM
firetkjames

The lights will have to be replaced. So dim I can't see the instruments. LED lights will cost around $40 and a new instrument panel cost about $90 or so. Thought that it might be worth it for a cleaner, nicer look. Just wondering because if I decide to go with a new panel I need to know what to get.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 PM
JamesW

check out my website for info on headlights and dash swap out

Quick Reply: Questions about 66 mustang coupe