Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ways To Lock Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Ball and chain for the lock down

Actually I was thinking it would not be too hard to install a loop on the latch itself that comes through the grill, I mean if you arejust looking to lock it at night and at work... If you are driving I think the standard latch will work great... my hood is down tight
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Try one of these ideas....
Attached Thumbnails Ways To Lock Hood-locked-hood.jpg   Ways To Lock Hood-rattrap.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Green69
1st Gear Member

I had this on my car. It helps to keep someone from casually lifting the hood, but it isn't terribly strong. You'd have to build stronger brackets. It comes with little sheet metal screws to hold the brackets in place. Oh, and you need to keep it well lubricated because it can get stuck in the locked position.

oops, I meant the chapman lock posted above.

Last edited by Green69; 06-02-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by leroman
anyone used pursuitrak? (similar to lojack but cheaper and better)
Please note that this is still just a GPS service. The car could be pulled under a grove of trees, overpass, container, back of truck, warehouse, etc and it can't be found. GPS works on Line Of Site and when covered/concealed the GPS signal is lost.

LoJack uses a private radio frequency that can be found anywhere. The only down side to LoJack is that they don't have complete coverage throughout the USA.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 AM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I just plan on retrofitting a cable release from another car into mine when it's all said and done. So that way you can only open it from the inside like modern cars are built. Ya it'll take some fabrication but nothing I haven't done before.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I'm planning on doing that as well but I cant use my factory hinges or latches anyway so I'm gonna have to figure out what I'm gonna do there first. Reverse tilt hood maybe.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
msmith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69FB
I don't know about locking the hood but I am considering this http://www.ravelco.com/ for my classic truck and the mustang. They are located in Houston, TX and have a few places throughout Texas.

I'll be watching this thread though since I'm planning on changing my hood to get rid of the hood pins.
Another option similar to Ravelco, but a little cleaner looking I think:
http://www.powerlock.com/
Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Please note that this is still just a GPS service. The car could be pulled under a grove of trees, overpass, container, back of truck, warehouse, etc and it can't be found. GPS works on Line Of Site and when covered/concealed the GPS signal is lost.

LoJack uses a private radio frequency that can be found anywhere. The only down side to LoJack is that they don't have complete coverage throughout the USA.

When Mexico is 45 minutes away nothing can help you.... hahaha... I had onstar in my first new pickup; it was stolen one night... never to be heard or seen again... it was probably in Wazoooo an hour after it was stolen...
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangtjk
I'm planning on doing that as well but I cant use my factory hinges or latches anyway so I'm gonna have to figure out what I'm gonna do there first. Reverse tilt hood maybe.
I had also considered the reverse tilt hood because mine is a restomod and i think that would be way awesome on my 72 with it having a long hood that covers the cowl and all.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
This is what came on my friends car. Has anyone used this? I think its a decent way to lock the hood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110388090320

thats fine and dandy unless they have a pair of bolt cutters.

try to open said hood once, then go to menards and wait a few days and see the car again. pop hood, cut and its open.

you need somethng that can lock the lever in a position so that it cannot release the actual hood latch.

that way they cant even open the hood enough to cut the chain/cable with bolt cutters.

i may have to play around and see about fabricating one at work lol

Quick Reply: Ways To Lock Hood