Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Octane levels

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Higher octane fuels do burn slower. They don't simply have some arbitrary octane rating, they're all made from base fuel stocks, then specific components are added in the blending process to achieve the desired result. There's a whole array of chemicals that are added, each to achieve different effects. Some increase the fuel's flash point, so more energy is required to ignite it, some help to control burn rates for a more complete chemical reaction during combustion, some chemicals are added back in to try and increase burn rate to offset the side effect of flash point raising chemicals etc etc. Modern gasoline, and especially racing gasoline, are very complicated and sophisticated chemical blends....they're base gasoline blend with sometimes dozens of other chemicals added in(in highly controlled amounts) to alter the properties of the fuel.

They don't just "add octane" to higher octane gasoline, it doesn't work that way. "Octane rating" is actually a scale referencing iso-octane(100) and n-heptane(0), a fuel with an octane rating of 100 means that it has the same resistance to ignition/combustion/detonation as pure iso-octane, that is to say it has nearly identical combustion characteristics. But generally during the blending process the chemicals added to increase the octane rating result in a fuel that is harder to ignite and slower burning, sometimes the octane increasing chemicals are MUCH slower burning, so burn rate increasing chemicals are added in, but you have to be careful not to blend it back to a lower octane rating again while trying to speed burn rate back up. That's one reason why race fuels are so expensive, they use very expensive blending components to achieve higher octane ratings with acceptable burn rate(xylene, toluene, benzene, cyclohexane etc), and it's in very VERY controlled amounts.

Then end result is that a higher octane gasoline is not only harder to ignite(greater resistance to pre-ignition) but it also burns slower(greater resistance to flame front generated detonation). The thing is, in a high output engine that NEEDS a higher octane fuel to run maximum effort tune, the slowed combustion of the fuel is more than offset by the characteristics of the engine causing combustion rates to increase. That's why beyond the needed octane you end up losing power, since the fuel can't completely combust.

Whether a higher octane fuel is richer or leaner than a lower octane fuel is entirely dependent on the blending components. Some have higher specific gravities(more fuel molecules per cc) and as a result need less fuel volume due to increased density, so they run richer. Some have lower specific gravities and run leaner.

As for pump fuel, there's not a huge difference between 87 and 91/93, but it's enough to make a difference in some cars. And the blends between different manufacturers can be quite different.
Thank you supplying everyone with that info, everyoen should be able to learn a lot from it. I agree with just about all of it.

I believe you are missing my point though. Octane rating has nothing to do with flame front velocity in a SI engine. You are correct that the fuel will be made of different chemicals and will have different properties but in a SI engine this will make no difference in flame front velocity. In a SI engine flame velocity is dependent on turbulence created in the cylinder and turbulence scales with engine speed. This is why much higher rpm's can be obtained than in a CI engine. In a CI engine fuel properties will matter more for flame velocity but if we were talking about that we would be talking about cetane numbers and not octane numbers.

Blends of base gasoline (pump gas) between manufacturers are no different than other manufacturers. The only difference is in the additive packages they put in them. If you don't believe me look into how the pipeline system works. The only base gasoline that is different is AMOCO Premium, they do one extra refining step and would actually "buy" the pipeline for a period of time to ship their fuel, well at least they used to, don't know if they still do it.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Engine characteristics alter flame front velocity more than any other characteristic, that's true. Octane rating itself has no direct bearing on flame front speed, that's true. But generally speaking the higher the octane the fuel, the slower it tends to burn, due to the chemical makeup. The difference between 87 and 91/93 probably isn't enough to notice though, since it's a minimal characteristic as the blending process brings the burn rate of the fuel back up with certain additives. On pump fuel if you can get away with lower octane then it saves you money. The biggest problem with too high an octane is that it's harder to ignite, and running high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it can result in poor ignition and incomplete combustion.

And yeah, the base stock of gas is similar between manufacturers, but the additive packages and specific gravities can make a difference.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

i am having a little difficulty in finding the answer to my questions in the novels above

simple question, can different gas cause the car to wreak at the exhaust and even cause it to smoke a little?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

can you explain a little more what your exhaust smells like. What wreaks to one person may not be that bad to another.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

haha thats funny, it smells so bad it burns your nose. kinda like unburned fuel. and white fumes when i rev and release.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

Are you running rich? I guess if the gas is bad enough you wont get complete combustion but the car would run like crap.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Running rich would also make your eyes burn. I know when my car was in the garage and it was running rich, my eyes would burn and water.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, bad gas can have a smell to it as well, rotten.