Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic Mustang purchase help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
clayman

I called on the other add you posted the link to. That car has a serious tranny fluid leak and the brakes are non operational, he also mentioned that it does leak in some water as well...

Man.. though call.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

That sucks. I know its hard to not fixate on the car you want but be sure to look around some more. I know there are more than a few for sale in the bay area. I'm not saying don't buy that car, its still your decision, I'm just saying make sure to look around.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
clayman

I sure appriciate your input. I have looked around at a few other cars in the past but not really found anything i wanted. This one appeals to me since its a manual and has some suspension work done to it. It revs around 3k at 65 witch seems ok to me? Donīt know if i should pass it up or not... oh the decisions...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Doesn't sound too bad if it runs good and doesn't have bad body rot. Hopefully others will join with their opinions later too.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
clayman

Thanks. Anyone else has some input?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

I've owned my 66 for about 2 yrs, been tearing it down for the last year. From what I'm reading here, sounds like you better be prepared to do some work. I wouldn't count on this car as a daily driver until you've completely gone through it. In a nut shell, be expecting to put some sweat and money into it if you do decide to purchase it. $3K would probably be a better price given the water and tranny leak.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

second note. if you don't have the time, tools, or access to a welder, it would be a risky buy because you would like end up paying someone good money to do any sheetmetal and mechanicals.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
I've owned my 66 for about 2 yrs, been tearing it down for the last year. From what I'm reading here, sounds like you better be prepared to do some work. I wouldn't count on this car as a daily driver until you've completely gone through it. In a nut shell, be expecting to put some sweat and money into it if you do decide to purchase it. $3K would probably be a better price given the water and tranny leak.
The first one he posted didn't have the tranny leak, just the cowl and some surface rust. The one I posted and he called on had the trans leak and non-op brakes.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM
clayman

Update, so i skipped out on the 3 speed manual car. I also went and looked at the leaky tranny car, not much better than the first one, possibly a hair better body, breaks and tranny would need full rebuild.

The motor didnt run that great either.

So now, back to square one to start looking, i assume i will have a pretty hard time finding what i want for my $4K? I dont want /need original shape cars, i am fine with some hot rodding as long as it has been done in a somewhat proffessional manner.

I don't mind some mechanical work at all, i have a decent setup with tools etc. Body work i would rather stay away from as much as possible.

Should i look outside CA?

My wishlist is:
V8 (289-302)
Manual (3-4 speed)
Posi or Lim slip
Disc brakes ( would be a plus)
Pwr steering ( would be a plus)
Suspension/Wheels and tires

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by clayman; 08-09-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 AM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

I purchased a 1966 Mustang I6 200 two years ago in Texas for $6,000. I could not find a V8 for that price that had good metal. My car has no rust but some front end damage (I had the frame strightened). So, now I have a good base to start with. I'll be able to upgrade the engine, rear end, brakes . . . for about $3,000 and get exactly what I want. It's a great looking 20 footer (silver blue metalic, daily driver. I'll need to drop some more money also into the interior (blue/white pony).

Quick Reply: Classic Mustang purchase help.