Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 in need of some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:12 PM
babyblue69

Default 66 in need of some help

Hi there! Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help walk me thru making my 66 dependable again? It has been in the family since new, was driven till it needed a break job, then parked for many years. It was finally passed to me and given the needed work. I drove it off and on for a number of years, then got parked when we needed a more family friendly car. It is a 66 coupe, 200, straight 6, still in pretty much original condition, other than the carb, that was changed out the last time it had any "major" work done to it, about 7 or 8 years ago. Currently, it starts, will run OK for a few minutes, but after you get it out on the road for a bit, when you slow down/stop, it'll die. Basically, anytime you step on the clutch, it stands a very good chance of dying, which doesn't make great for town driving. I have worked on engines some, have a manual for it, but am just lost on where to start and what things to check first. Thanks for any and all of the input anyone is willing to share.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

After all that time, I'd recommend a full-bore tune-up, including rebuilding the carb.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

yeah, i recomend rebuilding the carb, kits are cheap and a lot of the time the ruber components and gaskets dry out and crack. while your douing it, you should also consider replacing the dashpot which can sometimes help the stalling. As for dependable it couldnt hurt to have your ignition components tested. Most problems, including mine on this forum are usually electrical related. couldnt hurt to get that done before you take it out and your battery dies and your stuck on the road.

Last edited by Se4mus1; 08-09-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding suggestions
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
babyblue69

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll start there and post when done. Thanks again!