Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bouncy rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

I agree!! What color is that specifically? It looks great!!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'm running 1" drop all the way round with the 1" a arm drop, and ride height is pretty much level, maybe a titch lower in the front.

As for the bouncy, you're only running GT springs, they're pretty soft. If you want a firmer ride, get a firmer spring. You could also try swapping the shocks out for some Konis, they're stiffer than the KYBs.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Slow_Lane

The color is vintage burgandy which is factory color repaint but is base coat clear coat which really gives extra shine. I have put 220 miles or so this week as daily driver (crown vic)was down and out till about an hour ago and the only place I have bouncing is on the 1 mile of highway going through our small town no problems anywhere else so i guess i will not worry i may run the shorter shackles to try and drop a but in the rear but after putting a few miles on her i am very happy with the ride. She runs out great on the interstate I guess i should complain to the city aboout the road as this is the only place i feel the bounce. The front end is original or atleast as old as original and will be working on that next. I hope to "need" to have to rebuild the motor this fall after driving season is over.. I have mY wife confinced that the motor wont make it through next summer. No real problems but would like a bit more power. So does a guy rebuild this 289 or start fresh. Only time will tell.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You could also try putting poly shackle bushings in it to firm up the rear.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
If your tires rub, you need to get tires/wheels that fit. That is the ultimate solution to that problem.

I have 1" drop front coils and mid-eye rear leaf springs and my ride height is level. I'll probably be cutting the front springs in the future to lower the front end another 1/2" or so, but it works for now. If you want to raise the back end properly, get lift springs.

The shackles are definitely not helping ride quality or handling. Can't say that's the only problem you have, but with those shackles it's going to be impossible to point at anything else easily.
The only way to not have the tires rub is to run the same size tire I have in the front which is 215 60 15 in the rear.

I don't plan on changing my tire and wheel combintation. The Magnums are the right backspacing.

I want to know why even with the dropped front springs and new rear springs the rear sits lower than the front unless I have extended shackles on it.

I have seen some pictures of cars with GT srings on them that sit higher in the rear with out shackles showing.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slow_Lane
The color is vintage burgandy which is factory color repaint but is base coat clear coat which really gives extra shine. I have put 220 miles or so this week as daily driver (crown vic)was down and out till about an hour ago and the only place I have bouncing is on the 1 mile of highway going through our small town no problems anywhere else so i guess i will not worry i may run the shorter shackles to try and drop a but in the rear but after putting a few miles on her i am very happy with the ride. She runs out great on the interstate I guess i should complain to the city aboout the road as this is the only place i feel the bounce. The front end is original or atleast as old as original and will be working on that next. I hope to "need" to have to rebuild the motor this fall after driving season is over.. I have mY wife confinced that the motor wont make it through next summer. No real problems but would like a bit more power. So does a guy rebuild this 289 or start fresh. Only time will tell.
Thats really vintage burgandy? A friend of mines sister has a Mustang that is vintage burgandy and it looks totally different. Hers had more red in it. You'rs has more brown/copper in it. Its a beautiful color regardless though.

This is what I thought vintage burgundy was.

http://www.shannons.com.au/library/i...88Q_medium.jpg

Its really up to you as to what you do with the motor. I think its cool to see cars that have reworked 289s in them.

I went with a late model 302, because I didn't have a V8 to start with and I figured it was a the most suitable choice.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-17-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
I'm running 1" drop all the way round with the 1" a arm drop, and ride height is pretty much level, maybe a titch lower in the front.

As for the bouncy, you're only running GT springs, they're pretty soft. If you want a firmer ride, get a firmer spring. You could also try swapping the shocks out for some Konis, they're stiffer than the KYBs.
I don't think the GT springs are that soft. In fact I think they are fairly stiff. The rear of my car extremely stiff. If the rear of my car were much stiffer it would ride like a truck.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

So I guess there isn't really a rear leaf spring option that will raise the car about an inch over stock?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I believe Laurel Mountain sells 1.5" lift springs. You could also call Eaton and have them make you a pair.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Compared to a 5 leaf the GT springs are soft. I think 5 leaves aren't that stiff either though.

Quick Reply: Bouncy rear