Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bouncy rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Slow_Lane

Default Bouncy rear

Rained here for a week and been upper ninetys but finally went out sunday and got new leafs on. Was very uneventful took about 2 and a half hours. I replace them with th GT leaf springs and had replaced the air shocks a few weeks ago with the gas adjust from KYB. Finally cooled down a bit with no rain so it took out an hour ago for a quick beer run. It is however still bouncy in the rear. We have crappy roads but I really thought this would stop it better. I am not getting the tire rub problems any more. It is a firmer ride and much less wheel travel. Any idea why its still bouncy. I did not replace the shackles 6.5 inch bolt to bolt. The new set I ordered to get new bushings are 4 inch bolt to bolt but I did not want to lower it 2.5 inches so did not install them. Could this be causing the bounce with the rear being so high. If so I may cut the rear shackles down and drill holes at maybe 5-5.25 to keep it up a bit but will this stop the hop.

Last edited by Slow_Lane; 08-12-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
greystallion66
2nd Gear Member

why use shackles at all? I have a 66 coupe with 5 leaf (mideye) bolted into the stock location and have no issues with the rear end being bouncy. I also run the kyb gas shocks.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Slow_Lane

What size tires are you running. I like a bit of a rake. A.. up nose down.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have extended shackles on mine too. It has 1 inch front lowering springs and is still low in the rear with out having extended shackles.

Mine is a little bouncy in the rear but not bad. I think its partly due to the fact that the rear of the car is fairly light.

As stiff as mine is I definitely do not want the 5 leaf springs. Won't they be stiffer? Does anyone make a spring that provides 1-2 inches of lift that is like a GT spring?

Here is my stance. Do you have a picture of yours?

I have 215 60 15 front and 235 60 15 rear.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-13-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Jeeze, those 70's-flashback shackles are good for all sorts of problems, get rid of them. Bad pinion angle, back end of car wiggling side to side, etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Slow_Lane

heres a pick mine is also not horrible bouncy but enough i notice front is coming next and is stock for know.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slow_Lane
I did not replace the shackles 6.5 inch bolt to bolt. The new set I ordered to get new bushings are 4 inch bolt to bolt but I did not want to lower it 2.5 inches so did not install them. Could this be causing the bounce with the rear being so high. If so I may cut the rear shackles down and drill holes at maybe 5-5.25 to keep it up a bit but will this stop the hop.
I don't think that 2.5" shorter at the shackle will mean that the car gets 2.5" lower. I'd guess more like ride height drops about half of the amount the shackles' pin to pin length is shortened.

I'm not sure what the effect to your hop issue might be. Leaf spring kinematic behavior is lots harder to visualize (for me, anyway).

Norm
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Jeeze, those 70's-flashback shackles are good for all sorts of problems, get rid of them. Bad pinion angle, back end of car wiggling side to side, etc.
If I get rid of them the the tires will rub the fenders on speed bumps etc and the rear will be dragging the ground.

I also hate the tail dragger look. I think the car needs to be level or lower in the front.

My car also has 1 inch front lowering springs.

The rear springs are fairly new. They are supposed to be equivelant to the GT springs. They are 4 leaf.

Is there another good way to raise the rear of the car at least an inch from stock?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-15-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:45 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slow_Lane
heres a pick mine is also not horrible bouncy but enough i notice front is coming next and is stock for know.

Your car looks fantasic. I like the color. What is it?

I don't think the shackles are the only reason for the bouncyness, but they could be. My friend's car does have shackles and it seems a bit bouncy, but probably less than mine. His is a 68 though. Mine isn't that bad. I just think it would be nice to eliminate it.

What springs do you have on yours front?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 08-15-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If your tires rub, you need to get tires/wheels that fit. That is the ultimate solution to that problem.

I have 1" drop front coils and mid-eye rear leaf springs and my ride height is level. I'll probably be cutting the front springs in the future to lower the front end another 1/2" or so, but it works for now. If you want to raise the back end properly, get lift springs.

The shackles are definitely not helping ride quality or handling. Can't say that's the only problem you have, but with those shackles it's going to be impossible to point at anything else easily.

Quick Reply: Bouncy rear