Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

major frame problem maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM
timmyisevil
2nd Gear Member

Default major frame problem maybe

Hi guys and gals, iam got a 65 hardtop that was wreck a few years back the prev owner removed all the fender aprons and framerails, he got and installed new frame rails back in the org spot weld location, so when i got the car i didnt think this was going to be a prob.

moving ahead i got all new fender aprons one new shocktower and one saved one i lined up the shocktowers over the two holes on the frame like stock i then procedded to install the factory export bace to the shocktower.....it did not fit i had to push towards the center to bolt in the brace which took the ST away from sitting flush with the back of the frame. with a lot of tugging i think i got it to fit right......hears the big Q i could only get the shock tower to sit flush on one side while the other side was lifted off the frame less the 1/2 and inch because the export brace was pulling it back. All this looked like it was caused when the guy before me welding in the frames to far back almost 1/2 inch instead of flush with firewall

AM I DOOMED WILL MY STRUT RODS STILL WORK? WILL MY FRONT END STILL BE ABLE TO BE PUT TOGETHER?

as you can see in the pic with the yellow circles, the frame has a gap,and the fender apron needs trimed but still does not go all the way back
Attached Thumbnails major frame problem maybe-lot-of-work.jpg   major frame problem maybe-little-dirty.jpg   major frame problem maybe-new-fender-apron-with-bad-spots.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Are you sure the rails are welded on wrong? Export braces are notoriously hard to reinstall. I don't know how many posts I've read here where someone has taken the braces off to work on the car and when they get around to putting them back on they don't line up anymore. They won't reach the shock towers. Seems like they always require some jacking around.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
timmyisevil
2nd Gear Member

anyone else?