Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Took the carb off to start rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Took the carb off to start rebuild

Finally got around to taking the carb off to replace the accelerator pump and rebuild. But when I changed the pump the old one didn't look bad it almost looked like the new one. So now i'm stuck again on if that wasn't the problem what is? I haven't put it back on and tested it yet so should I start the rebuild or see if the pump was the problem?

Also how hard is it to rebuild a carb? Because it came with a diagram but it doesn't have like instructions just shows a picture of the carb in pieces. I'm 17 and don't know much about carbs so I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

my dad had his 850cfm holley double pumper rebuilt for $120, that includes all new seals and whatnot, sandblasting the whole casing, reassembly, and everything else that goes with the rebuild. It came out as a BEAUTIFUL piece, if you are unsure how to rebuild a carb then just farm it out. I personally haven't rebuilt a carbs so all I can say is if you do it take it nice and slo and place everything out in order. That carb looks like it can use a rebuild but the choice is up to you.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

It's easy to just put the carb back on and see if it fixed the problem before rebuilding it.

Other than that, sorry I had no luck either to rebuild a carb or having one rebuilt. Ended up buying a new Edelbrock, it runs great 2+ years. No more rebuilds for me, may as well flush the money down the drain IMHO. These old carbs weren't ment to run on modern gas additives, probably why the pro-rebuilt one failed in 6 months too. Edelbrock site says their carbs are compatible with modern gas.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 08-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

since this is your driver, farm it out and get it done right. Suggest going to a bone yard and picking up a similar carb or have a friend give you one to rebuild. Most non-corporate bone yards would be happy to sell you a rebuildable carb for pocket change. Then you can take your time doing it. Once you've gotten past the fear factor you'll have a better understanding of what goes where, and how to put it back together. The hardest part is initial adjustment and setting everything up; float levels, jetting, idle, fast idle, choke, etc. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Whenever I am taking something apart I try to take photos along the way. Doing this helps you get back home when its time to reasemble it. Also, take pics at every angle before you start pulling hoses and wires off. A good digital camera is easliy affordable!

Man only needs pictures to put things together. Whats this instruction stuff??
Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Get your self a Holley rebuild manual and a rebuild kit. You can do it if you can follow directions. It is not rocket science.

Check the Holley website:
http://www.holley.com/37-1536.asp

Check this page:
http://www.carburetion.com/books.asp

If you pay attention and follow the directions, you can do it in a weekend. Bench setting and adjustments are where it gets a little tricky, but again, the rebuild kit will coem with bench setting instructions. The Holley site has setting instructions as well, and any one of the holley rebuikld manauls will include adjustment information as well.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by photocliff
Man only needs pictures to put things together. Whats this instruction stuff??
That's such a good point lol. I find it irritating when a manual says something like "reassembly is the reverse of disassembly"

But how did I disassemble it? ahh!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Well so far I have dumped like $50.00 into it and it still not run right and I don't really trust myself to rebuild it. So i'm saving up to get an edelbrock. But one of my friends suggested a demon I wanted one but their expensive. He said I should run a demon 650 so if I can come up with enough i'll probably go for that.

And I was going to try to start it and see if the pump fixed it but I put the carb back on and started the car and noticed I forgot to connect the accelerator linkage to the carb. So I turned the car off and put it on real quick but while trying to restart it the silinoid sparked and it won't crank or turnover. Replaced the silinoid and still nothing. My dad said it could have burned a cell in the battery so that it still reads voltage but not enough power the start the car. We are going to try to jump it off later and hopefully it works because I can't afford a new ignition system or anything right now.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

A cell in my battery went dead, kragan said it was fine blah blah i knew it wasn't because I tried it on 2 cars. They ended up hooking it up on one of the workers dodge dart and it didn't start so they prorated a new one for me. This could very well be your problem, let's hope so! and hopefully your battery is under warrenty, or else it will be like 60-90 bucks
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
This could very well be your problem, let's hope so! and hopefully your battery is under warrenty, or else it will be like 60-90 bucks
It is the battery I remembered the radio runs off the battery so I turned the key backwards and turned the radio on and the light was really dull. The battery I had came with a 3 year warranty from walmart. But the date read 07-06 so It happened to go out a month too late. But it didn't make sense we bought the car august 06 and replaced the battery shortly after but the battery says July.
But the battery tray needs replacement bad! it's literally falling apart but I can't seem to get the bolts off. I have sprayed them with WD-40 like 5 times trying to loosen them but so far nothing. As a last resort I might have to drill them out.

The replacement

Last edited by blue 67 coupe; 08-22-2009 at 12:41 AM.