Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seat foam

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default Seat foam

I bought some new front bucket upholstery and now I need some seat foam.

I noticed NPD offers $85 seat foam and "economy" $50 seat foam that they say doesn't fit as well. I also read after searching the forums that CJ Pony's foam is crappy and that Virginia Mustang's is good. Mustangs Unlimited has $50 seat foam also.

I live in Washington and would like to get it as soon as possible since the upholstery will be here Friday. There's a local Mustang shop that sells $85 seat foam and I am guessing it is the same or similar to NPD's.

Where should I get my seat foam from?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

If NPD says the $85 foam is better, I would listen to them. I live about 10 minutes from their Ocala warehouse and I go up there quite a bit. They are very knowledgeable and trustworthy in my opinion. Who makes the upholstery that you already purchased. Some upholstery makers also make seat foams. I bought TMI upholstery from NPD and I know they have their own seat foams they recommend.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I bought some new front bucket upholstery and now I need some seat foam.

I noticed NPD offers $85 seat foam and "economy" $50 seat foam that they say doesn't fit as well. I also read after searching the forums that CJ Pony's foam is crappy and that Virginia Mustang's is good. Mustangs Unlimited has $50 seat foam also.

I live in Washington and would like to get it as soon as possible since the upholstery will be here Friday. There's a local Mustang shop that sells $85 seat foam and I am guessing it is the same or similar to NPD's.

Where should I get my seat foam from?
You do realize, NONE of these places actually make the foam "buns", right? They buy them wholesale from manufacturers, usually the same ones.

I prefer original foam, but if it's ripped up from Goober driving the car with torn seats, that can be a problem. Usually, though, a careful application of a layer of 1/2" or 1" foam from any decent fabric shop can make it like new. Be sure to get some burlap to go between the foam and springs while you are at it. I have a car over 50 years old and still has the original foam in it, although I re-upholstered it, and even replaced many springs about 15 years ago.

It is easy to sculpt the foam repairs, just use your hand-held grinder to smooth off corners and edges of the foam patches.

If the foam is flat not fixable, I prefer TMI foam.

What's wrong with your seat foam?

Be sure to get some burlap to go between the foam and springs while you are at it. The original burlap has piano wire stays laced into it, and you'll want to re-use these.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

My seat foam doesn't look too bad, I just figured it would be easier to buy some new foam rather than stuff it.

We're going to have it done at a local upholstery place (depending on how much it costs). While I was writing this, I got one quote for 4-6 hours at $80 an hour PER SEAT. That seems way too expensive to me...

Here are my seats as they sit now:

Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Looks like the original foam, maybe with some 1/2" in the centers would be fine. The time quote is a bit high, the pros I know can do a set of three in less than a work day, 8 hours. Of course, that's still $600, plus the upholstery and incidental repairs, like the occasional bit of welding on the frames.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Too high on the quote. I could get it done it San Diego for $250 a set if you bring them just the seats and the upholstery. Now I do them myself. It is not that hard. Did you get TMI or Distinctive upholstery? The TMI is much better.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

My dad ordered Distinctive Industries upholstery without telling me... we'll see how it looks and compare it to our existing upholstery and make a decision from there.

Looks like we found a better deal on reupholstering by somebody my dad knows. He'll tell me how much when he gets home.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

When the upholstery comes in, you can always send it back and order the TMI if you aren't happy with the Distinctive Industries. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I got my seat foam from my local mustang place and it was made my TMI. I believe the covers were too. Very high quality stuff, it was actually too snug on some of the seat covers, it was a pain to slide the high back covers over the foam, but once i got it it was great.

Do the seats yourself, I did mine myself when I was 17 and they came out great, plus I get to say I did it myself. A tiny tear or wrinkly you MIGHT get is worth saving $600 to me...

Here's some before and afters of the seats I did:

If you do your seats yourself I would probably do the rear seat first, it is MUCH easier and it will give you the confidence and some more skills to tackle the buckets. I did my buckets first and the high back seat was too difficult for me at first and I gave up on it for a couple weeks. When I went back at it I finished it, then the second bucket took me about half the time as the first, then I finished both the rear seat pieces in probably 3 hours, including disassembly and reassembly. So yes, I recommend doing it yourself, I know you can do it and you will be much happier when you see the outcome that YOU created (provided you did a good job, which you will )
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

A little tech tip. Put some plastic over the top of the seat back foam. Makes getting that cover on much easier.
And My wife and I did ours seats ourselves too. took us a day, starting with the rear seat and moving up to the front ones. Broke a set of hog ring pliers too... spend the money on a good set. It is money well spent!

Quick Reply: Seat foam