Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake vacuum on a 6 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
cookstang

Default Brake vacuum on a 6 cylinder

Hi all

Starting a father son project on a 65 with a 6 cylinder automatic transmission.

The car has drums with power brakes and a new booster with a 2 bowl resevoir.

Question: The booster is getting its vacuum from a T connection off the PCV valve. One of the first projects will be to convert it to disc brakes in the front, but for now I would like to know if the vacuum is correct. I don't think it is, but I am not sure what other sources of vacuum I can use since it has a 1 barrel carb.

Any help appreciated.

I am looking forward to working on this with my son. He has already learned a good lesson on how not to bloody his knuckles when we replaced the exhaust manifold last weekend.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM
JoelEsler

I just went out and took a picture of my engine, it's a 68, I6.

My brakes look completely different.

Last edited by JoelEsler; 09-24-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cookstang
The car has drums with power brakes and a new booster with a 2 bowl resevoir.

Question: The booster is getting its vacuum from a T connection off the PCV valve. One of the first projects will be to convert it to disc brakes in the front, but for now I would like to know if the vacuum is correct. I don't think it is, but I am not sure what other sources of vacuum I can use since it has a 1 barrel carb.
No, it is not correct, and will give you insufficient vacuum. There are a number of disc brake kits available for 4-bolt 6-cylinder cars now.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 09-24-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Joe: Nice of you to post your brake setup, but won't help the original poster since you don't have powerbrakes. you are missing the booster and won't need that vacuum hookup

cookstang: welcome to the forums.
I agree with 2+2, the valvecover hookup will "get rid of" all the manifold vacuum you produce. there will be nothing left over (can you say that really for vacuum?) for the brake booster.
I don't know if you can make head and toe of the illustration that 2+2 sent.
In your case (6cyl) you attach the hose from brake booster to a hardline that is going straight to the intake manifold.
You might have a t-piece in there so other components can use the vacuum as well, but trhe only one I'd share with my brakes would be the vacuum modulator for the automatic transmission. just like in the picture if you have one.

I'd say your next question should be (and I don't know): where should I hook the PCV at valve cover to (is there even a PCV there). I don't have experience on the I6.
Anyway, don't share the precious vacuum for the booster with anything if you can avoid it
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
I don't know if you can make head and toe of the illustration that 2+2 sent.
In your case (6cyl) you attach the hose from brake booster to a hardline that is going straight to the intake manifold.
You might have a t-piece in there so other components can use the vacuum as well, but trhe only one I'd share with my brakes would be the vacuum modulator for the automatic transmission. just like in the picture if you have one.

I'd say your next question should be (and I don't know): where should I hook the PCV at valve cover to (is there even a PCV there). I don't have experience on the I6.
Anyway, don't share the precious vacuum for the booster with anything if you can avoid it
Here's a pic showing the connection for the power brake. The brass fitting below the carb, a single connector on auto trans cars (and plugged on manual trans) is replaced by a T fitting, compare this with the drawing.

The PCV connects to the rear of the valve cover, and to a fitting on the carb spacer pointed toward the battery. The upper photo, above, has the PCV hose routed incorrectly, probably because it's generic straight hose, not the proper moulded type, which is available. The lower photo shows it routed correctly.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
JoelEsler

Originally Posted by kalli
Joe: Nice of you to post your brake setup, but won't help the original poster since you don't have powerbrakes. you are missing the booster and won't need that vacuum hookup
Well, that explains it
Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

nice, 2+2 :-) ... i always wonder where you dig out your diagrams and pictures. that explains it well
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 PM
cookstang

Default THANK YOU

Great information. Thanks for the responses. We will start trying to correct it this weekend.

2+2: Thanks for digging out that diagram. If that is your engine compartment it looks awesome!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
cookstang

Default Help finding a part

Hey guys

Finally getting around to fixing this. Got delayed by installing a new radiator, water pump, etc.

I am having a hard time finding the vacuum fitting for the manifold that 2+2 posted in his photo. The fitting is the L shaped fitting that threads into the manifold. No luck in the local auto parts (there are only two parts stores nearby and neither is very good).

Anybody know where I might be able to order one? I havent had much luck with the usuals ( CJ Pony parts, NPD, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

You will need to find a ****** Brass Fitting/Adapter.

Really? They censored b a r b e d.....

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...fittings&dds=1

Tomorrow I'll measure my ****** fitting I have threaded into my manifold. I put one in for my PCV valve.

This is getting annoying. once again that is b a r b e d (take out spaces).

Last edited by 1slow67; 10-28-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake vacuum on a 6 cylinder