Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Project "Stinger"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

Default Project "Stinger"

I thought i would share with you guys my project that i have been working on for the last couple of months. This is going to be a two year project as i still go to school, and i am only 16 so funds are tighter with my limited income.

I began looking for 1964.5, 65,66 mustangs nearly a half a year ago. I would search the entire state of florida on craigslist multiple times a week to see if what i was looking for was there. I began to go looking at a few, and i thought i was just about sold on one local. It was a 1965 mustang going for 2800. I go an look at this with my father at this "all you need is paint and she will be a champ" (what they seller kept claiming). Things were completly downhill once i arrived to look at this car. I soon realize that this car was full of a bondo. Nearly the entire back end of the car would require new meetal because of the amount of rust. This proved to be too much for me to handle, and i wasn't really wanting to tear the back out and reweld new quarter panels and such in. When i go to start it up, it doesn't start. after about thirty minutes of messing around we get it up and running and i notice once in reverse, one of the wheels is dragging. I said you get that wheel free, and i will come back and look at it again. I am now displeased, with the trust in this guy because he kept claiming there is no bondo on the car, and i would tap around and you could hear the thud on the bondo and the ting on the metal. Plus i saw empty galloonSSS of bondo lying around in the yard. He calls me up the next day and says it is free, and i come to look at it. I go for a ride, the oil pressure light keeps popping up low at idle, plus i could still feel the caliper on the wheel locked up. i get out of the car and notice the dragging wheel is smoking like a steam machine due to the frozen caliper. he claims it is free but the car is stopped when put in drive and no brakes are appied. it won't even move at idle or at about 1.5k in revs. i asked how he claims to have unfrozen the caliper and he says he took a hammer to it. That was enough for me to leave and go home for good. I go home displeased, and look on georgia craigslist. i find a 289 v8, 4 speed manual for sale with manual steering and manual brakes. the ad says no rust, drives, no bondo. This is everything i wanted because the powersteering would be no good on a car of this age and i don't have the kind of money to replace it anytime soon. I call the guy up, like what he has to say, and decide to head to Georgia. Within an hour of getting home from looking at the "champ" i am on the rode to Georgia. Long story short i pick this one up in much better shape for 2700. I rode the whole car ride home w/o any problems minus having to throw some tires on the car. the owner did say he didn't think the tires would make it back to florida. I replaced them when i noticed bubbles forming in the tires after about forty miles. once put on, i made it the rest of the way home w/o problems. car didn't overheat once which pleased me.

car is a 289 v8 with a 4speed toploader transmission. has 8 inch rear end with 2.80 gears lol

i have replaced my alternator to a chrome 140 amp one wire alternator (tuff stuff silver bullet). i ceramic coated the headers, painted the entire engine, took all pulleys of and painted, took the drive shaft out, sanded and painted. Cleaned the rearend and painted, did a lot of work underneath, painted, cleaned the bellhousing and painted, got flowmater exhaust and hpipe (40 series mufflers). Car already had aftermarket headers (hedman), edelbrock carb (60cfm), edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold. oh and i also took the radiator out and painted that with high temp spray. the radiator was new to begin with. bought a flexalite fan and spacer,

since the pictures i have added a 4 inch cowl scoop, and i am still in the process of mokding it in, almost done with the scoop. i had the exhaust (welded up, have a new front shelby r valnce, rear bumper, and side scoops are in the mail. going to doing body work and hopefully will have it painted by christmas. i will do all work my self, and i am going to paint it black. ill try and post updated pics

my goals with this car in order:
paint black
finish body pieces
rewire the car
replace carpet, headliner, get new racing seats, rear uplhostrey, hurst shifter, daspad, instrument cluster, radio
do suspension work (improved roll bars, higher spring rate springs with a drop, higher spring rate leaf springs with a drop, replace shoks with uprgaded
wilwood 4pot front and rear brakes
wheels(undecided)
rebuild the tranny
upgraded clutch and flywheel
lsd with 3.80 or 4.11 gears
rebuild the motor, stroke to 331 ci (289 stock), forged crank conecting rods, and pistons. Race prep block, aluminum heads, high lift cam, new intake manifold, and different carb. convert to electronic distrbutor, high flow water pump and electric fuel pump. Aluminum radiator..

may be missing a few.

got a lot of work to do but should be fun

Here is the stinger when i bought her.(pics aren't as detailed because i didn't have a car lift at first so couldnot capture everything).

hope you all enjoy

Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

here is how she is now minus the hood scoop, oh and the h-pipe is now connected to the headers. some pictures don't show the bottom painted, but it is all undercoated and painted

Last edited by cdan03; 11-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

wow looks like you got a nice car to work on, looks very complete and clean. The work so far looks great, I'd be interested in seeing the scoop and front valance and such...

Also, you probably should have stripped and repainted the engine bay when you redid your engine, or did you do all that with the engine still in the car? If you ever pull your engine definitely strip and clean it, it doesn't look bad now, it'll just look really really nice if you do
Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

here is some updated pics.

i still have a little more work to do on the scoop, just is looking into shape now. i started filling holes where badges were with body filler. I am not planning on putting any badges back because i like the clean look without the badges. also started to fill in dent holes. still has to be sanded down. getting ready to sand the car down. hopefully in the next couple weeks i will be starting to paint.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
wow looks like you got a nice car to work on, looks very complete and clean. The work so far looks great, I'd be interested in seeing the scoop and front valance and such...

Also, you probably should have stripped and repainted the engine bay when you redid your engine, or did you do all that with the engine still in the car? If you ever pull your engine definitely strip and clean it, it doesn't look bad now, it'll just look really really nice if you do
Thanks.

i posted pics of the cowl hood. front still in the mail hopefully friday.
i repainted the engine while it was in the car. i removed all that i could. i am going to re paint for sure when i pull the motor out but, i just wanted it to look presentable when ever i open the hood. at least it looks like something decent in their. i ran a compression test on it and came out with 165-170 lbs all cylinders. but it blows a little smoke out the back
Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Very nice. I really like what you did underneath the car. You painted the whole engine while it was in the car?? Looks really good for doing that. Do not see any overspray or anything. That scoop is a monster ha
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
cdan03
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flash70
Very nice. I really like what you did underneath the car. You painted the whole engine while it was in the car?? Looks really good for doing that. Do not see any overspray or anything. That scoop is a monster ha
i covered a lot of stuff up and taped a lot off. i also removed some stuff out of the engine bay. i don't think it turned out bad. there is a few places i couldn't get too but its good enough for now.

at the time i bought the scoop i was planning on a tunnel ram intake manifold, and did it for clearance/apperance puposes. i am mixed about the tunnel ram intake though if it would be streetable on the street. this car will see some strip time but 90% will be street. i do like my cars on the edge though.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I hope your not going to use those coilover shocks in the back of it.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

It's nice to see someone your age take so much pride in what you are doing. That is a rare quality now days. The really great thing about this is that you are doing all the work yourself. What that tells me is that you will take care of the car because you know how much work went into it. Most kids that get a car just trash the hell out of it because mommy and daddy bought it and they did nothing for it so they don't appreciate it. Nice work so far. Please keep this thread updated with your progress. I really enjoy seeing this type of thing. Can't wait to see more.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 AM
opie_803
2nd Gear Member

you are really making some great progress cosmetically. i did notice a ton of sheet metal screws in the floor around where the drivers seat is. what is up with that? was some of the sheet metal replaced?

keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Project "Stinger"