Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

X versus H

Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
renegadestang

Default X versus H

X-pipe versus H-pipe on the dual exhaust... What's the difference? Any pro's and con's of each?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: X versus H

ew ew pick me!
"X" pipe it will increase your exhaust flow and give you a little better top end HP. The "H" pipe will give you a little more rumble at idle and less at highway speeds. Either way, get one or the other.

haha, stole that from Glen! I didn't know the answer
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

an x-pipe has a scavenging effect where it actually pulls exhaust from the motor.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deviousfred

an x-pipe has a scavenging effect where it actually pulls exhaust from the motor.
Versus an "H" pipe which was designed to balance the exhaust pulses thereby reducing back pressure.
the Pro's to an H pipe:

More flexibility to keep it away from the transmission to keep heat transfer down.

The cons:

Old school, if someone looks under your 800HP ground shaking asphault destroyer you might hear them say "...Oh, he only has an "h" pipe, gee what a loser" while he walks back to his Pacer.

And like Mr. Devious said, it ain't a scavenger.

"X" pipe pro's:

Sounds really cool to say "yeah baby, I've got an "X" pipe for ya!"
When all the gods of exhaust smile down upon you on the perfect day, you just might notice the difference of having it or not.
But then racing is mental anyway, so if you think that "X" pipe will get the win light...it just might!

"X" pipe cons:

Places heat right under the transmission.
Yet one more connection for some newb to improperly weld.

Sooner or later someone will come out with a new " exhaust trick of the day" and that same lame dude in the Pacer is going to see your car and say"...Oh, he only has an "X" pipe, gee what a loser"
Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

They both do basically the same job. To get the exhaust out of the headers as fast as possible. There are many articles written about the difference, but basically the two cylinders firing on the same bank at virtually the same time produces less than desired back pressure. Some folks like the low rumble at idle with the "h" and some folks prefer a few extra ponies at high RPM with the "X". Either way, they are both superior to a single exhaust system, or a dual exhaust system without crossing over from one to the other. Read here for some ejumication.
http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...eakdown-5.html
Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 PM
renegadestang

Thanks guys! I have an H-pipe on my Pony and I do really like that beautiful rumble at idle (especially with my 2-chamber Flow's under there too) but was just wondering what the difference was with an X.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You get a "raspier" sound and it is supposed to be more efficient at getting the exhaust out better, therefore creating a few extra ponies at high RPM. If you already have the H pipe, then don't worry about spending extra bucks for the X, unless you are racing it.....then just open that sucker up to the air and not even worry about mufflers and pipes. Get some ear plugs though.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Regarding The H pipe, how crucial is the geometry of it? I mean the place where crossover is put, length of the connecting pipe and so on. I'm asking about that because I intended to have one made in some exhausts workshop. Getting such thing from the USA over here where I live would cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

The "purists" will tell you no further back from the collectors then 15" (381mm). I've found no noticeble difference up to 20" back. I also tend to make mine a little longer then what they show in the books. I do that so that I can keep heat away from the transmission, and also get the transmission out without having to remove the exhaust system. I'm probably anywhere from 12"-16" across. That is much longer than the 4" to 6" you see in the books. But again, I've tried both ways, and couldn't tell any difference in performance, so I do what's easiest and best for the overall vehicle.

HTH,