Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car dies in the same spot every morning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
mdewberry

Default Car dies in the same spot every morning!!!

Ok.. My 66 is a daily driver, 289 w/2100 carb, every morning the car is started and allowed to warm up for approx 5 minutes or so, then a 2 mile drive through town (stop signs, turns, etc speeds never over 35). Then a 12 mile run down a 70mph highway, the car has good pedal response and runs great at 65-80 mph. Then when reducing speed on the off ramp and making a right turn (approx 20-30mph) the car will die everytime, same spot like clockwork. If I try and give it throttle through the corner it will bog down and attempt to die, if no throttle is given it will die. Any thoughts or experiences that might help?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Gun Jam

float level adjustment is required to obtain proper fuel level in the float bowls.

my car would die when making high G 90 rights / lefts adjusted floats haven't had it die since then.

What carb do you have?

-Gun
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 PM
mdewberry

The carb is a 2barrell autolite 2100, the corner is not what I would call a high G turn. I usually slow to look for traffic and the accelerate making a right hand turn.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Gun Jam

the car is slowing down so its naturally leaning out and perhaps with the float adjustment off it could be enough to kill the engine.

I dont know exactly how to adjust 2100 floats....I still think its a carb issue.

hopefully someone with 2100 experience can help out
Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

the float on the 2100 is pretty easy to adjust.

just take the bolt out that holds the air cleaner down and i think 2 other small screws and the top half of the carb will pull off.

the float is a larger rectangle float that is attached to a small rod. then on the rod there is a spring that hold it in the right position.

you just have to compress or spread the spring out to adjust the float level.

i forget the measurement but with the bowl filled to where the carb thinks it should be, the float should be something like 3/16" below the top brim of the bowl.

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THE 3/16" THOUGH. i dont have my book on me and its been a year since i rebuilt the card on my '65
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

First, don't drive there.

As others have said, check the float level.

Then, install a dashpot, to prevent the throttle from closing too fast.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

dashpot is a good idea :-)
float level first though

my shop manual says leave engine run for 15mins so engine is warm. then swiutch off, remove airhorn like 65rangoon says.

then leave engine run in idle and measure float level.
all guides on the internet say to measure from top of carb gasket surface to top of float, but shopmanual says to measure from gasket surface to where the fluid level actually is. specs for single,dual and 4barrell are 3/4" for that

things to look out for: the fuel level has to be measured away from any vertical surfaces in the carb as the fuel is climbing up there (like any liquid would)

here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Car dies in the same spot every morning!!!-autolite_1100_2100_4100_float_level.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Fuel filters are cheap, try changing that first. Might just make a difference.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
mdewberry

I have changed the fuel filters ( one on the carb and the other feeding the fuel pump), i do not have a antistall dash pot on this carb, can they be picked up a parts house?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Tune the engine, set the float, install the dashpot and find a new way to get to work.

Serially, the dashpot should be there if your car is an automatic. I would think it's available locally, I think each type has multiple applications. Try NAPA.

Quick Reply: Car dies in the same spot every morning!!!