Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Part for 72 Mustang Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Kaitlyn

Default Part for 72 Mustang Fuel Tank

I am in need of some help. I have just removed my gas tank and discovered that I need a new piece for it. There are three "holes" in the tank. The first is on the lower side and this one holds the sending unit. The second is on the top all the way at the back and this is where the filler tube goes in. The third, and the one I'm interested in, is located on the top (about the center of the tank) and it holds a part that looks like it might be a breather of some sort that has a rubber hose attached to it. The metal part that attaches to the tank is perfectly fine, but the mesh INSIDE this piece fell apart the second I touched it (go figure for a 33 year old part!). I am wanting to either replace the whole part or put something in there that will work. Seems like this is nothing more than a filter or something, and it reminds me of what I've seen inside oil breathers. It's only about half the size of a golf ball, so it isn't all that big. Anybody have ANY idea on what I can/should do for this? I need some help soon since my new tank will be here in a day or so and I would like to do everything while it's out, rather than having to drop in again to install a new part. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Part for 72 Mustang Fuel Tank

ORIGINAL: Kaitlyn

I am in need of some help. I have just removed my gas tank and discovered that I need a new piece for it. There are three "holes" in the tank. The first is on the lower side and this one holds the sending unit. The second is on the top all the way at the back and this is where the filler tube goes in. The third, and the one I'm interested in, is located on the top (about the center of the tank) and it holds a part that looks like it might be a breather of some sort that has a rubber hose attached to it. The metal part that attaches to the tank is perfectly fine, but the mesh INSIDE this piece fell apart the second I touched it (go figure for a 33 year old part!). I am wanting to either replace the whole part or put something in there that will work. Seems like this is nothing more than a filter or something, and it reminds me of what I've seen inside oil breathers. It's only about half the size of a golf ball, so it isn't all that big. Anybody have ANY idea on what I can/should do for this? I need some help soon since my new tank will be here in a day or so and I would like to do everything while it's out, rather than having to drop in again to install a new part. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Only thing I can think of would be a Vapor return line {I am just guessing}

Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Hi Kaitlyn, and welcome to the classic section of the MF. You didn't mention what year your car is. My 65 only has two holes in it, one for the sending unit, and one for the filler tube. As Mark pointed out, it may be a breather tube for your particular model.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Hi Kaitlyn, and welcome to the classic section of the MF. You didn't mention what year your car is. My 65 only has two holes in it, one for the sending unit, and one for the filler tube. As Mark pointed out, it may be a breather tube for your particular model.

What was the title of the thread again???? I forget.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Markstang1969

ORIGINAL: Soaring

What was the title of the thread again???? I forget.
As you so eloquently pointed out, Mark. It is for a 72. My CRS disease is kicking in high gear here lately. I went and looked it up. It is a fuel vapor separator tube. It can be ordered at most Mustang parts places, but can be found here. http://www.allclassicmustang.com/1972web.html
Old 07-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

According to all the pics I have seen, yes. What I have not been able to find is a description of what that is, or even a part that looks like it fits in there, other than a fuel pick-up (but those were in the 79-> cars), Non-California Vent or a vapor return line. I am sure I am completely wrong and it is a drain plug or something

EDIT: I see Soaring's reply, and I had googled that earlier but couldn't find a pic or a decent description anywhere.

EDIT2: Don't worry, Glen. I suffer from CRAFTs disease more often than I care to say as well...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Kaitlyn

If this is in fact the part, this part is $65 for non stainless and $95 for stainless! Holy smokes! Here's a link that sells them:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Cat...vapor&x=3&y=12

Unfortunately, no pics, so I'm not 100% sure that this is the part. But if it is, shoulda stocked up on those parts back in the early 80s when I started this project!

Thanks for all of the info!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Kaitlyn

Turns out that part I listed is ONLY the line, not the actual part that attaches to the fuel tank. No luck finding this part ANYWHERE. I searched about 40 different Mustang parts houses using the term "fuel vapor" and can't find anything. Oh well, some things will just have to stay as they are...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaitlyn

Turns out that part I listed is ONLY the line, not the actual part that attaches to the fuel tank. No luck finding this part ANYWHERE. I searched about 40 different Mustang parts houses using the term "fuel vapor" and can't find anything. Oh well, some things will just have to stay as they are...
I spent time looking through Mustangs Unlimited, Year One, Cal-mustang and Virginia Mustang catalogs for you yesterday. Never saw a pic of what goes in that hole [sm=dontgetit.gif]