Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Correct Carb Venturi Size.... 1967 Coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

Will what I currently have work correctly once rebuilt? Or is it some carb that is just wrong and needs to be switched?
The Autolite 2100 and 4100, or Motorcraft replacement, were one of the most reliable carbs ever built.
Whether your carb is a candidate for a rebuild depends on condition that can only be determined by hands on close inspection.
Did the guy say the carb was rebuildable?

I know a guy with the smaller 1.08" venturi's on a 67 vert.
Depended on the transmission and the DSO for the original car.
Carbs were sized and jetted differently for certain states, and elevations. Your is a replacement and maybe that is just what they had.

If you want the bigger carb then it is not wrong.
It is definitely not too big though.
I doubt you would really notice much difference between the two for casual driving.

If the carb is good and the guy does a good job then you will have a very reliable, easy to adjust carb.

$250.00 does seem a tad high to me for a simple rebuild.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Coupester
The Autolite 2100 and 4100, or Motorcraft replacement, were one of the most reliable carbs ever built.
Whether your carb is a candidate for a rebuild depends on condition that can only be determined by hands on close inspection.
Did the guy say the carb was rebuildable?

I know a guy with the smaller 1.08" venturi's on a 67 vert.
Depended on the transmission and the DSO for the original car.
Carbs were sized and jetted differently for certain states, and elevations. Your is a replacement and maybe that is just what they had.

If you want the bigger carb then it is not wrong.
It is definitely not too big though.
I doubt you would really notice much difference between the two for casual driving.

If the carb is good and the guy does a good job then you will have a very reliable, easy to adjust carb.

He's only asking $120 for a rebuild of this one. $250 is kinda my max for dealing with this situation.

Anyway.... so you're saying there is some leeway on what will work? As in, there isn't a "wrong" or "right" situation necessarily, but different sizes were used in different areas?

He just looked it up and noticed that it wasn't the stock size and wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing (I obviously didn't). He said he was going to look for the stock size carb for me (didn't mention if the current one was or wasn't rebuildable)

Cool.... so I'll have it rebuilt and put it back on and everything should be roses. Yes?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Coupester

Yeah, for $285 you can get a show rebuild.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Build it, have it rebuilt, whatever. It'll work just fine. Espescially since this is a temporary deal. Hell, if I lived near you I would just come over, rebuild it, and tune it on your car for the cost of the parts and a couple of beers. You would probably be in it less than $35. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the country.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
Build it, have it rebuilt, whatever. It'll work just fine. Espescially since this is a temporary deal. Hell, if I lived near you I would just come over, rebuild it, and tune it on your car for the cost of the parts and a couple of beers. You would probably be in it less than $35. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the country.
Right on..... thanks. And I'm thinking about moving to the Pacific Northwest in a few years so I'll keep that offer in mind!

I have a friend that's going to help with tuning and such but he said he suggested I not deal with the rebuild. That's when I looked up the instructions on how to do it and made an informed decision to outsource this project!

I'll practice rebuilding them myself when I'm not pressed for time. Right now I've got a lot to do and only a couple weeks to do it! Trying to get this done fast! I'll make improvements later.

Oh yeah, in case anyone cares..... here's the car!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Nice car. Coupes look good in black. Is it a stick or an automatic?

As far as your carburetor goes another path might be ebay. There's a boatload of rebuilders selling there, and sometimes you can do quite well.
Here's an example.

1967 FORD MUSTANG AUTOLITE 2100 1.14 C7DF-R CARBURETOR+
Old 12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Ahhh....that's not a '67. That's a '68. Are you sure you have the correct title for that car? Seriously, I'd check the VIN asap.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Ahhh....that's not a '67. That's a '68. Are you sure you have the correct title for that car? Seriously, I'd check the VIN asap.
Strange. The quarter "scoop" and reflector are pre-strike 68, the front marker and grille are 68, but the fender emblems are 67. The wheels are 65-early 66, but that's a bolt-on. Either way, the rocker mouldings are missing. Good-looking car, but I was struck by the unusual mix of parts.

Getting back to the carb, +1 on the rebuild offer. But you don't need to practice. The only adjustments are the float level, set when you put the float in, and the idle mixture and speed screws, which you'll need to adjust on the car anyway, no matter who you "outsource" the job to. I dunno what you read to make you think this job is too hard for you. The time you've spent posting this tread would be enough to do the carb.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-06-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

It also has a 68 steering wheel and gauge pod but has a 67 gas cap. Looks like all the 67 stuff is bolt on or easily added.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
kbryan
1st Gear Member

VIN = 7R01C109208

That is 67 according to the decoding info I've found...... Am I wrong??

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Frankencar. I don't really care though..... I just like the way it looks!

Last edited by kbryan; 12-06-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Correct Carb Venturi Size.... 1967 Coupe??