Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rebuild myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:59 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Default rebuild myself?

Hi,
Needing advice. I was wondering if a person with little auto experience but lots of mechanical savvy should try to rebuild the engine in my 65. I like to tinker and thinking of this for a winter project. We get a lot of snow here and I'm tired of building models. Also is there a GOOD book on the subject? I saw one in NPD catalog titled "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford". Also thinking about some performance upgrades while leaving the apperance stock (as in a cam). It is a 289 2 barrel.
Thanks, Walt
Old 07-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: rebuild myself?

I personally think you'd be ok, I would buy a book as well, I think about any book will be as good as the next. Another thing to consider is do you have anyone in your family or any friends that have rebuilt or work on engines. If so might ask them if they don't mind helping/supervising you. Thats my plan, get the motor up and out and as I start to build on it. I'm gonna invite over my step dad, a couple nights, my girl friends dad a couple nights, some guys I work with that work on cars. Basically try to keep knowledgable people around to help me and answer questions [sm=goodidea.gif] Also Clutch would suggest you take pictures or video tape as you go. That way you can refer back to it when your putting the engine back together.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: rebuild myself?

How to rebuild your small block FORD Is an Excellent book! Consider it the bible for rebuilding your engine.

When I did my car the first time I started out with very little knowledge of the engine (basic back yard mechanic - fix a waterpump type experience) I bought that book, and read it cover to cover before I loosend one bolt on the engine. If you follow that book, you will have no problem at all.

Finished product ran for 65K miles with no problems. One thing you will need to do is find a good machine shop that is familliar with your engine. (also covered in the book )

And yeah, [frankenstein voice] PICTURE GOOD![/frankenstein voice]

Old 07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default 302 thumbs up!!!

Absolutely do it yourself!!! [sm=happy046.gif]

Clutch gave you great advise.

There is also a book on building SBF strokers that is pretty cool. Just in case. You'd still follow the "how to rebuild your small block Ford" but add in the part of building it stroked.

You've built models so you have an eye for detail, that's the most critical thing. Nothing magic or secret to it.

Have fun!!!