Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rattle can on the interior dash and doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Default Rattle can on the interior dash and doors? Pic Update

When I purchased my car the lower dash and doors had a really (as still does) bad paint job on the lower dash and the doors. I called up the paint shop who painted it a few years ago with the previous owner to get the scoop on it. He painted the exterior which is phenomenol. But the inside he said that in the past the car was already sanded down and so the grain in the door metal was no longer there. They tried to replicate it through a couple processes with rolling and clear coating. Looks like bed liner. Crap.

So. He said for $480 he would strip, sand, prime and paint both lower dash and the interior doors.

I rattled canned the engine bay and masked the whole vehicle off, came out decent. Interior is a different animal.

What do you think, I could strip, sand, prime and paint (Well maybe paint) it myself. But in one day and 480 later I could have it done. Has anyone done rattle paint like this before? What rattle can "black" did you use?

I don't want it to look ghetto and know if I did it, I would pay attention to detail, just wondering if it will be worth it in the end to do myself.

Last edited by FoMoJoe; 02-10-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: change title
Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Gun Jam

I did mine myself...After doing it myself no way would I pay some one 500 bucks to do the paint.

I got a matching color form NPD 2 or 3 cans.

Pull the rear seat and back cushion out then remove the metal panels on each side where the rear seat was and paint them.

Pull the 6 screws or so out of the instrument cluster and pull it forwards a bit after unscrewing the speedo cable from the back of the cluster and mask it all off.

Pull the inside handles off the door and pop the vinyl/cardboard face off the door.

Lightly sand all the stuff to be painted.

mask off the aluminum kick plate along the bottom of the door and mask anything else off.

Paint it.

-Gun
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

To add to what you did he should probably wipe everything down with acetone or Naptha to get any waxes and Armor All off, just like a doing the exterior, or the paint will fish eye like a bastard.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 02-04-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

While a professional gun is the best way, you can do the panels with cans very respectably, I did the interior in my 66 with cans almost 20 years ago and it still looks good.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

$480 is not bad for that much work. If you like to do that stuff on your own does not cost much. If not, I would jump on $480. The doors are real easy, the dash takes a good amount of time removing all the switches, sanding, priming etc..
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

If you spray bomb it what are you out, 20 bucks for a couple of cans?
20 sounds better than 480.
I say try it yourself first, you can always have it done professionally later if you don't like the way it comes out.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by noroof66
$480 is not bad for that much work. If you like to do that stuff on your own does not cost much. If not, I would jump on $480. The doors are real easy, the dash takes a good amount of time removing all the switches, sanding, priming etc..
I never bothered to remove the switches. I simply warped tape around the base of each switch, bezel, faceplate then warped in paper and taped again making sure the seal was good...Then removed the tape the second I was done spraying to check for leaks and wipe up any before it dries. Either way a little over spray on some chrome is super easy to clean up...its not like its going to stick very well.

-Gun
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Did my old couple with rattle cans. Came out great and the current owner still says it looks great!

I stripped with aircraft stripper and while the stripper was still wet and eating I used a soft wire brush and scrubbed it to get the old paint out of the pressed crinkle finsh. Rinsed, wiped down with thinner, and shot a light coat of primer with a single coat of paint.

I used black semi gloss Rustoleum...goooood stuff!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Good stuff! I might give it a go this weekend.

Any recommendations on where to get the paint stripper? Tips/techniques during the paint stripping process?

Besides the semi-gloss rustoleum product, what's another good paint to get? Do you know the paint number to go with it?

Can you guys please post some pictures of the outcome?

Might be doing a "rattle can" write up on another thread if those goes well.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Gun Jam

I recommend prepall for cleaning the metal just before you paint it. It will remove any contaminates and makes for good adhesion...Used it when I painted mine.

Quick Reply: Rattle can on the interior dash and doors?