Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

we're getting serious :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

on sunday we put in the cam and I can tell you that break-in lube (compcams) is worse the glue mixed with honey. we struggled to find the correct bolts for the waterpump. it all got a bit mixed up a bit since the engine is out of car for over half year already. so tonight we hope to have the engine back together and mount back to the frame. It's currently on engine stand for assembly. Can't wait. I hope all goes well.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

this engine had a horrible life before. some of the con rod bolts wee loose, all cran and main bearings destroyed. today i checked on the carb (just give it a once over) and that 351M was running with stock jetted holley 570cfm (54/65 that's a massive spread?!) and NOS ... that can't be right. the NOS is gone and will not come back (sold), so I jetted the carb up a bit to be on the safe side (58/69). can always bring it down when needed.

We got stuck last night missing the intake manifold. so we set we're not putting the lifters/pushrods in either with the gunk and called it a day. until we figured that there's no gasket, but the spalsh shield with crap loads of silicone gasket.

So we might have her finished tonight if we're at it. then maybe another 5 hours to mount to the frame and make sure everything is hooked up right before w estart her up
Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

I like it! Be sure to mount at least an oil pressure and water temp guage. But, why are you making a plate for the starter when you can just mount the bellhousing? Unless you don't have the bellhousing?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

bellhousing is on atomatic transmission in car. but will do that for the next one (hopefully manual). we have an oil pressure gauge, sensor and tested that on other car. water temperature gauge as well but missing still the sensor. worst case I'll use my infrared temperature gun. for rpm I'll take from my timing gun. getting a tach another time. we have the engine together now and aim to start sunday evening
Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Good luck, hope all goes well.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Thanks valley! back out of hibernation? what is the status with yours? I heard you were running into trouble lately. You at it again?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:03 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Hey Kalli, Sorry to hear about your engine. Maybe your friends can help out with your's when you guys get done with this project. I am done with my engine. There were a few snags but nothing time didn't take care of. I just found that just about every shop you deal with wants to screw you and lie about what they were supposed to perform. I was very lucky though to have a great friend who was very experienced and helpful. The engine is on a engine run stand right now and was run several weeks ago with just one water leak. The only leak was the bottom radiator hose clamp. I can honestly contribute this to mine and my friends patience and thoroughness. No corners were cut and no questions left unanswered. I learned a lot this time around. I can honestly say this engine is going to get me into trouble. My friend says about 600 hp but I don't want to guess. I would rather get it to the engine dyno than tell stories. When I broke two pistons last year it scored a couple cylinders pretty bad. Basically all I was able to re-use was the heads, crank, and rods. Everything else is new. My cam is a custom ground solid roller. I even went as far as getting new valves when I installed the new springs.The whole assembly is balanced and she runs like silk. Two nights ago I clocked the scattershield and it is well within tolerance. I will purchase a new roller pilot bearing tomorrow and I will be able to button up the trans. I am going with a McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing this time. After that is all buttoned up I will tear the power steering out and replace everything with manual steering. The roads up here are rutted so badly that it is very difficult to keep her on the road with the old technology power steering. June will be a year since she's been parked. I'm very eager to get her back on the road. We have about another month of snow and hopefully everything will be ready when the roads are clear. I won't hijack your thread so maybe I'll post some pics on a new post.

Thanks for asking and good luck my friend.