Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Vacuum Advance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
63Falcon

Default Vacuum Advance Problem

1963 Falcon, 6 cylinder, 170 cubic inch, 2.8 liter

Runs smooth at idle and in gears when cold. Would go in and out of all gears, no problem. After driving 10 miles and getting warm it dies when put in gear, especially reverse. Once restarted it would run rough. Let it sit a half an hour to cool and it runs fine again.

Replaced:
Carburetor
Ignition Coil
Rotor, Condenser, Distributor Cap
Plugs
Wires

Just discovered that it has essentially NO vacuum at the port in the carburetor going to the distributor. What would cause the a lack of vacuum at the carb? How do I fix it? Would this have to do with the problem noted above?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

a carb usually has two different pickups. manifold vacuum and ported vacuum. ported vacuum is above the throttle plate, so therefore there is no vacuum at idle. sounds perfectly normal to me. the problem must be somewhere different.

maybe ignition timing, vacuum leak
since the problem only occurs when warm, it might be that the carb is running too rich, however it can be a problem with a gasket as well that the car only gets to see when warm. check all vacuum hoses at engine and to transmission if there is one

do you have powerbrakes, and if you do do you have the same problem when stepping on the brakes at idle?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
63Falcon

No power brakes.

I've thought putting a new gasket under the carb. I've had it off several times and have used the same gasket. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the bottom of the carb with no effect, so I thought it was sealed tight with no leaks.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 63Falcon
Just discovered that it has essentially NO vacuum at the port in the carburetor going to the distributor. What would cause the a lack of vacuum at the carb? How do I fix it? Would this have to do with the problem noted above?
If there was vacuum there at idle, it would be amazing. That's ported vacuum, and draws only when the engine is accelerating.

Power brakes use manifold vacuum, an entirely different matter.

The carb gasket wouldn't have anything to do with vacuum advance, either.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

If you have an automatic choke, the spring may be damaged or the unit needs to be adjusted. This may cause your engine to run normally until warm then cause a change in idle if the choke is not working properly...just my 2 centavos...
Old 06-27-2010, 07:29 PM
63Falcon

Checked the vacuum. Seems good. It had increasing suction with accelerator. Distributor turned when I sucked on the vacuum line. Checked timing. Seemed pretty good.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM
63Falcon

Timing was set at 11 without the vacuum line plugged in. When the vacuum line was plugged in it was at 12. Chilton's says 12 for automatic transmission. Loosened the bolt holding the cleat that holds the distributor in place. Couldn't turn the distributor for the life of me. Was afraid of what kind of problems I could get myself into if I forced it with a pry bar or something. So I decided to leave well enough alone.

Still at a loss.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM
63Falcon

Additional info:
When it dies it spits out a couple of tablespoons of gas from the carb as it dies.

Is there any alternative way to check the engine temperature other than the gauge in the dash?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

a) a stuck distributor is quite common with the stock model. some haven't been turned for 40 years. the way to get them out is always the same: loosen the bolt that holts it down and then get them to turn first. if the distributor doesn't turn you will break it when you try to pry it out. simply, turning is more important than lifting for this. once it turns it will lift as well. you see i'm adement with this, a lot of people broke it before trying to pop it out. what gets them to turn is penetration spray, sometimes heat, sometimes brute force.

b) you can buy an infrared thermometer and measure with that. best place to measure i find is right under where the thermostat sits, but check other places as well to be sure. they're cheaper than you'd think and worth every single penny

spitting out gas could well be trouble with ignition timing. 12 should be good enough in idle to not cause any ill effects. but you should check for vacuum leaks as well:
get some WD40 and spray it around the imtake, at the carburetor base. basically everywhere but directly into the carb. when the idle changes while you do that then there's a vacuum leak exactly where you're spraying. as said spray at intake gasket, carburetor and carburetor base at least
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
63Falcon

Does anyone know much vacuum should a 6 cylinder 170 with a 1100 carb produce? I think I'll put the vacuum tester on it again.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Advance Problem