Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67-68: 12V source in the key "run" and "start" position?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default 67-68: 12V source in the key "run" and "start" position?

I'm looking for a source inside the car where I can hook up power to a 5.0 EEC module in my 67.

It requires a 12V source when the key is in the "run" and "start" positions. I thought I would find one on the fuse block, but either I get a constant 12V from one of the fuses, which won't work for the application, or, 12V from "one" side of two other fuses while the other side drops voltage upon start up.

The ignition switch has been butchered over the years by previous owners, which is why I'm avoiding picking up power from there, and why I'm now looking at a complete harness replacement from American Autowire.

I have temporarily run an external wire all the way up the the starter selonoid (right front post of the selenoid) that provides the power I need for now for testing. The shop wiring diagrams have been helpful, but maybe I'm missing something as I read them.

However, to keep the EFI converstion project moving forward, can someone tell me where I might find an "inside the passenger compartment" 12V source I need in the "run" and "start" positions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I needed a 12V source for my electric choke and used the switched source for the windshield wipers. On a 69 the wiper motor is under the cowl cover so the wire was easy for me to get to. I believe on your car the wiper motor is under the dash, so it might be a little harder to get to but there is a nice switched source there. Be careful though because there is a constant wire too, just use a test light to discern the right wire.

I'm sure others will chime in with other 12v sources, just think of what works when your car is on that also does not work when it is off. But you also don't want it to work in the Accessory position either