Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by NoReins
You are right, what do you suggest we use?? Basecoat/clearcoat?
For the inside of the cowl where water would come in contact with..I would go over everything with an epoxy primer or a paint that you feel is good quality. I would then use a 3M seam sealant over all the welds and joints and finally top coat that again with a paint that you like.

Por 15 may be good for an initial prime. It is self leveling and very smooth I found it also has excellent adhesion properties and is quite hard. simply use a wet finger to feather the 3M seam sealant so has no edges to collect dirt or water..

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 10-24-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
For the inside of the cowl where water would come in contact with..I would go over everything with an epoxy primer or a paint that you feel is good quality. I would then use a 3M seam sealant over all the welds and joints and finally top coat that again with a paint that you like.

Por 15 may be good for an initial prime. It is self leveling and very smooth I found it also has excellent adhesion properties and is quite hard. simply use a wet finger to feather the 3M seam sealant so has no edges to collect dirt or water..

-Gun
Good advice. I did mine with POR15 followed by SEM Epoxy seam sealer, then more por15, prime, color then clear.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

WOW. Good job you and your husband are doing. And I'm jealous at you finding the second car . It's hard to fine one let alone two...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 AM
chip_127
1st Gear Member

Default Chassis Black

Did you guys use the gloss black or the satin? I plan on using the same thing for my firewall and aprons. I noticed Eastwood has a sale running through december for the 2k satin.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LCC
WOW. Good job you and your husband are doing. And I'm jealous at you finding the second car . It's hard to fine one let alone two...
Thank you, and yes they are so hard to come by. We are just hoping it's as solid as it looks in primer. We are up for suggestions on what to do with it in the near future...

Thanks guys for all the advice and good ideas. We are not going to use the Raptor in the cowl because of all of your good points. To finish the cowl, we will seal the seams, prime and paint our body color...

The chassis saver we used is the satin finish. If you haven't tried it I would recommend it. We have used both POR15 and Chassis Saver and have found that the CS adheres a little better (in OUR opinion, I know everyone has their own product they prefer). They both are great products.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

The second mustang is such a high option car that I would restore to its original condition. Have you gotten a Marti Report on it?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I'm thinking we better restore it to original. I have the Marti Report it had about everything we expected.... Lime Gold, Ivy Gold interior, C-4 cruise-o-matic, 302 4-V, tilt-away steering, console, fold-down seat, A/C, white wall tires, tinted glass, and deluxe belts.

But wouldn't it be so tempting to make it look like this??

Last edited by NoReins; 10-25-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I like that idea!!!! An Eleanor and a GT500KR? Sounds BEYOND awesome to me!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I think it would be very tempting but with that many options on the car I'd suggest restore to stock except for what bolt-ons you could add to make it handle and drive better. Maybe an AOD with overdrive and some updated suspension. Nothing that could not be undone.

Having said that since my car is not a high optioned or even anything special I'm going to update the thing till my heart is content...once I get it back together and drive it for awhile.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:32 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

We accomplished a few new things today. We still have a long ways to go, but every day I know we are getting closer. The rockers need patched, so before we do that we used it as a way to get in and spray the insides with Chassis Saver. We used an empty U-Pol Raptor bottle that we had cleaned and saved for this, as well as the gun. We rigged it up with a rubber tube and wouldn't you know... it did the trick! Here are a couple pics of my invention:

Our plans are to install the Mustang II suspension from Rod and Custom, as well as custom engine bay aprons from Mustangs to Fear. We have the custom aprons in our hands right now, but we still need to purchase the suspension before installing them. We replaced the rear fender aprons, the others will eventually be cut out for the custom panels. We want to keep as much as the structure in tact, so until we get the suspension we are leaving the current fender aprons where they are to help mock up the radiator support.

We took the front end off of the rotisserie and put it up on jack stands so we could get to the radiator support. Before mocking up the radiator support we did our best to clean out the front frame rails and coat with Chassis Saver. Again, our ghetto gun worked like a charm!

Pic of the old radiator support:

Radiator support removed:

Spraying the Chassis Saver, getting ready to weld in the new Radiator Support:

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback