Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

replace flowmaster 40s

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default replace flowmaster 40s

hiyas,

i know ... we had this thread about 4 million times already, but I thought I'd ask for input ...
I want a muffler about as loud as the 40s, but deeper in idle and less resonance.
I don't mind them being loud inside but there's a few specific rpms where those 40s are just annoying. i was thinking flowmaster 44s ....
i've seen the arvinrudes (or whatever they were called) original to the k-code, but as well sounds a bit like a truck (i know ... i'm way too picky for someone with 40s ...)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Chris Kennedy
1st Gear Member

Hi:

I tried the Arvinodes on my car and didn't like them ---you're right about the truck like sound, especially at idle. Also, I don't like the "blat" sound of glasspacks once you get into the throttle, and there is some of that design in the Arvinodes. A number of people I have talked to have recommended Magnaflows, saying similar things to what you say you want about a deeper tone. You might check out "youtube" for sound clips, too. Frankly, I think much of this is trial and error. Luckily the systems for our cars are relatively inexpensive, as these things go, so that makes mistakes a little less upsetting. Coincidentally, I am running Flowmaster 40s on my car, and like them a great deal. I have a 2:80 rear axle ratio, however, which might help with the drone (I only get a slight bit at 60-65 mph).

Regards,

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

very same opinion. buddy has straight trhough pipes. no mufflers, no nothing. it's very loud but I now recognise the blat in everything that is similar to straight through (cherry bombs etc).

I like this one. sounds very honest and I like the screaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A21z-QLWp6Y
no idea which mufflers those are. i'd probably try:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11225/

this one could sound a lot better if the idle were lower. Would like to hear that one screaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXk_MVV7V0g
that's tx65coupe's Dynomax Ultraflo (Race Magnum) Mufflers

any other ideas?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Chris Kennedy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
very same opinion. buddy has straight trhough pipes. no mufflers, no nothing. it's very loud but I now recognise the blat in everything that is similar to straight through (cherry bombs etc).

I like this one. sounds very honest and I like the screaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A21z-QLWp6Y
no idea which mufflers those are. i'd probably try:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11225/

this one could sound a lot better if the idle were lower. Would like to hear that one screaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXk_MVV7V0g
that's tx65coupe's Dynomax Ultraflo (Race Magnum) Mufflers

any other ideas?
My other car is an '89 Corvette 6-spd. that I got on Ebay (this is the only time I have ever owned two cars except for a very brief period in the 90s, and I basically inherited the Mustang sooner than I expected, but always wanted to do the conversion). The Rat, as I call it, was one step away from being a parts car, and was so grateful to see me come along that it's been a great car and is my daily car. Anyhow, lots of Corvette forum postings are also by people trying to get the right sound, and Dynomax is one that many recommend. I use muffler eliminators, which are o.k. and cheap so long as the car has a catalytic converter to cut some of the noise. Dynomax is not one of the trendy brands (that seems to be Corsa and the like), but Dynomax is fairly priced and seems to really please many. I should've added it to my posting. I like the soundclip, too.

/s/ Chris
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm glad to see your thinking about new mufflers.

Sorry about the quality of my sound clip. I wish the car wasn't idling too high. Its idling about right now. It sounds awesome in person. I'll try to get you a better sound clip soon. I should be able to get you one at least by this weekend.

I like the sound of that aqua/turquoise one with the Magnaflows. I almost went that route. I was about to put a link up of that car.

I can say that everyone likes my Dynomax Ultras better than the Blowmasters.

I actually kinda like the Arvinode, but I have never heard it in person.

All I know is any chambered muffler like Flows sounds hollow and drones too much. I think that regular Dynomax or Cherry Bomb turbo mufflers sound better than Flows.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-22-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

you may want to look at these........http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

The best of both worlds.....
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

htwheelz67: i've seen tyhem in the latest Summit catalogue. but i'm worried with
a) blocked exhaust pipe (valve closed). can't see where the gasflow would go then.
b) who wants a silent idle (that's how i understand it)
c) the valve parts in there will break/rust/fall apart way too quickly. I don't trust a spring inside the exhaust. heat and condensation will kill that soon i guess

anyway, i really don't mind loud. i even prefer it that way. it's justr that the flowmasters i currently sound horrible inside the car at a few specific revs. boring/annoying

Last edited by kalli; 07-20-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

hey Tx
i too would like to hear those dynomax's at over 4000rpm and under load...how about a drive-by and an in-car shot?

i'm having the same internal debate. my car is loud but sounds kinda crap until the rpms come right up. i really want to change mufflers and would happily trade volume for quality but i'm with kalli and want both

i've spoken with a few shops recently. it surprises me that none ive talked to take any vid of the mufflers theyve fitted. more than one has commented that its quite hard to get a windsor to sound great (compared to other V8s) and one even seriously suggested the best path is headers into a single 3" system. There are a couple of road rally cars here that have that and do sound great but they are so loud theyd attract cops from the next zip code. Still, I'd consider it but for having 2x valence exits :[
Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by htwheelz67
you may want to look at these........http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

The best of both worlds.....
Those are interesting. I would like to hear them at idle and varying RPM and hear some feedback from someone that has them.

Our 2003 Maxima has a similar setup on the OEM muffler.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-22-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aussie66Fastback
hey Tx
i too would like to hear those dynomax's at over 4000rpm and under load...how about a drive-by and an in-car shot?

i'm having the same internal debate. my car is loud but sounds kinda crap until the rpms come right up. i really want to change mufflers and would happily trade volume for quality but i'm with kalli and want both

i've spoken with a few shops recently. it surprises me that none ive talked to take any vid of the mufflers theyve fitted. more than one has commented that its quite hard to get a windsor to sound great (compared to other V8s) and one even seriously suggested the best path is headers into a single 3" system. There are a couple of road rally cars here that have that and do sound great but they are so loud theyd attract cops from the next zip code. Still, I'd consider it but for having 2x valence exits :[
I'll be taking the Stang out on Saturday so I'll try to get something better for you guys to hear it.

I agree, A Mustang just looks better when it has 2 tail pipes.

I have heard that some people like to run a 3 inch single. I can say it works fairly well, but I don't know how it can be better. I run a 3 inch single on my 95 F150 with a single Magnaflow muffler that is single in dual out and have duals out the rear. It works very well. I still think that true dual exhaust is better. Especially with an H pipe.

Quick Reply: replace flowmaster 40s