Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brian's 67 Resto-Mod Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Default Brian's 67 Resto-Mod Project

So I recently was given a 1967 Mustang 289 2v Coupe C4 automatic for Father's Day by my lovely wife Although the car was in my opinion decent shape I could not resist the urge to make it my own project. So I started to tear it apart piece by piece with just the help of forums like this one. The Mustang is a California car built out of San Jose, Ca from what I can tell the original color is clearwater aqua green.

Well the car has basically no rust whatsoever. The only rust I found was around the battery apron. Unfortunately both shock towers have come face to face with a plasma torch and have seen better days. Other than that and a little body damage to the driver's side the 67 is a solid foundation for my plans.

I would like to point out I am in no shape or form an auto mechanic but am somewhat mechanically inclined. Also the progress I have made so far has been with basic hand tools and many trips to my local harbor freight for a few specialty tools, like a spring compressor.

So here are the basic plans for the 67, although I'm sure some ideas will come and go as time goes by:

Replace most if not all front and rear suspension components.
(plan to a 1 inch drop all the way around)

Replace and or repair to new all steering components, to include new steering column and steering wheel.

Replace current power drum brakes upfront with power disc brakes.

Replace or repair both shock towers and battery apron.
(this will not be done by me)

Repaint engine bay satin black

Redo interior to be all black with aftermarket front buckets.

Rebuild stock engine and transmission.
(not sure on which way I'm going on this one yet)

Rebuild rear end or look into other options
(not sure on which way I'm going on this one yet)

Repaint car original color
(clearwater aqua green)

Here are pics of the car before I started and where I am currently...

Last edited by HEADACHEZ; 08-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Just a tip to save you some money, you can rent most tools with a deposit at most auto parts stores, use it, return it and get a full refund. You may not use the spring compressor but twice, I hope it's an internal type.

Sounds like you have a good basic outline for the car. I would group the repairs/changes together. Like when you pull the engine/trans have the shock towers/apron fixed then paint then reinstall engine, etc.

None of your pics are showing, did you try to paste them from your computer? You will need a hosting site like photobucket, etc., they're free.
Awaiting pics,
Jon
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
MustangFTW

Clearwater aqua green is a good choice my 67 mustang is painted that currently though it doesnt match my olive green interior

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonk67
Just a tip to save you some money, you can rent most tools with a deposit at most auto parts stores, use it, return it and get a full refund. You may not use the spring compressor but twice, I hope it's an internal type.

Sounds like you have a good basic outline for the car. I would group the repairs/changes together. Like when you pull the engine/trans have the shock towers/apron fixed then paint then reinstall engine, etc.

None of your pics are showing, did you try to paste them from your computer? You will need a hosting site like photobucket, etc., they're free.
Awaiting pics,
Jon
Ok I think I fixed the photo issue.... Yeah I'm going to try and rent tools next time I need some, it is getting quite expensive tool wise.

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
Clearwater aqua green is a good choice my 67 mustang is painted that currently though it doesnt match my olive green interior
Yeah I think the color looks great but I will be going with black interior..
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Looking great so far! You really are getting work done from what I can tell!
The same thing happened to my shock towers.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Bump... I want to see more!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

So here is the progress I have made so far..... Plan on finishing most of the stripping and priming by the end of this weekend. Sorry for the quality of the pictures I used my Iphone.......

Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
chip_127
1st Gear Member

You got it looking good. Someone burned holes in my shock towers too. Supposedly for some sort of adjustment. (?)
What type of paint / primer are you using on the aprons?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

That's a great project you got going there. I myself also have a 1967 Restro-Mod project going. I bought a rolling chassis from a body shop that had someone skip out on the bill. I am having trouble deciding which rims to put on the car myself.

Other than that, you seem to be getting through it pretty quick. Congrats! Keep the good pictures and reports coming.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chip_127
You got it looking good. Someone burned holes in my shock towers too. Supposedly for some sort of adjustment. (?)
What type of paint / primer are you using on the aprons?
Yeah the shock towers is a huge blow to for me as well. Apparently back in the days people would torch the holes to get to the grease fittings in the A-arms. I am just going to continue my project and have them repaired when I have the car painted.

On the paint I'm just using a spray can, Rustoleum engine primer that can withstand 500 degrees. I only sprayed the primer on one side to see how it would look. Once I'm finished with all the sanding I will primer the entire engine bay and other side. Then I am going to Rustoleum semi-gloss black in a spray can over everything. I am hoping to have everything primed by the end of this weekend. I'm about 80% done with the sanding at this point.

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
That's a great project you got going there. I myself also have a 1967 Restro-Mod project going. I bought a rolling chassis from a body shop that had someone skip out on the bill. I am having trouble deciding which rims to put on the car myself.

Other than that, you seem to be getting through it pretty quick. Congrats! Keep the good pictures and reports coming.
Thanks and good luck on your project!! Shoot me a link to your posts or start a thread. I love seeing other people's progress and ideas.

Quick Reply: Brian's 67 Resto-Mod Project