Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

First Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
FueledbyChris

Post First Restoration Project

Well hello all, as this is my first post in this forum.

So heres the scenario, I am 17 and have always loved mustangs (I currently own a 2004). My dad works at a mechanic shop although he is no master mechanic. Although his friend he works with is. He would be willing to help us do any restoration work on this, and we could also get a good price on paint, etc.

So I have been wanting to do a restoration on a vintage mustang (I considered a GTO Judge for a while but it felt like treason). I've always had a thing for the 69' models so im looking to do that. It's not something I would want to keep for a while so we would be looking to turn some money on it since we dont have enough money financially to leave it sitting in a car, although It will probably be hard to part with if we do eventually.

I was just hoping to get some advice from people who actually know what theyre talking about, in what I need to look for or whatever. I've been looking on craigslist for a good starter car.

Here's the one i've been looking at the most lately: http://i55.tinypic.com/w1bsi0.png

Although as it says it does not have the original numbers/engine, so I dont know how big of a deal that makes. Although I probably would not buy the engine with the car from that specific one.

Would I be losing money into that or gaining? And what would be a fair price after seeing that ad, excluding or including the engine?

I cant think of what else to ask so I guess we'll go from here.

Thanks to anyone
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
FueledbyChris

Also I found this Mach 1, which I would most likely sacrifice one of my limbs to have a 69 mach 1. Although its in pretty rough condition.
Link: http://i52.tinypic.com/m957gm.png

What would be a good price for that? Or a resell value with original engine after resto
Could I buy both of these cars ive linked to and combine them into one, mostly just using the interior from the first while keeping as much original as possible.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Honestly I find that most people have different concepts of what the term "Restoration" really means. Do you mean "fix up" to resell or an honest to God restoration?...those can cost more money than a nice house, but fixing up and repainting can be a nice way into the hobby.

I would suggest that you pick the one with the most parts in/on the car and the least amount of rust. Do you really want to do the research on what type of screw actually went where etc..it's easier to replace a part that looks tired than it is to find out "what went there?"

Also, if you are buying to resell and make money the coupes cost less to buy, but the sell for less on the back end.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

If the one only needs a floor, it's not rough, it's a creampuff! Matching numbers is of little concern. If it came with a 351w and leaves with another 351w, no harm done of a Ford. Before buying either, take a magnet with you. The less rough they appear, the more suspect they are of being patched. Stick the magnet to obvious areas of concern such as behind the back tires, along the lower edges of the doors, and pour water down the cowl vents in front of the windshield to see if it leaks inside the car (reason for needing a floor). Practice with the magnet on your car the take a rag and fold it a couple of times and stick the magnet to the car through the rag. That's the feeling you don't want when spotting bondo under paint, except for right behind the rear corner of the rear windows where the factory used lead on the body. Either example you showed sounds OK except for the $4000 engine with painted heads. For that much, they should be aluminum and I'd be asking where the money went unless they're Darts or similar.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM
FueledbyChris

Firstly, Thank you to both of you.

Yes, I do understand the difference between restoration and just repairing everything. I dont really have enough money to be fully restoring it to an original parts condition so it would be closer to the other most likely.

Could I get some opinions on how much that mach would be worth in the condition it is in, as well as the other.
And possibly some resell estimates, roughly. If fixed back up to a very nice condition, although not originally and completely restored(original parts and such).

Thank you, Chris
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Value is tough to determine from a snapshot. The market is in a decline, winter is coming and if you find a seller that needs to make a house payment...well, you get the idea.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FueledbyChris
Could I get some opinions on how much that mach would be worth in the condition it is in, as well as the other.
And possibly some resell estimates, roughly. If fixed back up to a very nice condition, although not originally and completely restored(original parts and such).

Thank you, Chris
This one? http://i55.tinypic.com/w1bsi0.png
All together I'd stick firm at $3000. Car alone, $1500. Car and interior, $2000-2500 but that's just me and how bad I want it. What he spent means nothing to me as he likely overpaid for every part he ever bought - not my problem. I know if I'd had paid $4000 for a 302/351 build I'd sure know what cam it had in it.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
This one? http://i55.tinypic.com/w1bsi0.png
All together I'd stick firm at $3000. Car alone, $1500. Car and interior, $2000-2500 but that's just me and how bad I want it. What he spent means nothing to me as he likely overpaid for every part he ever bought - not my problem. I know if I'd had paid $4000 for a 302/351 build I'd sure know what cam it had in it.
I would not pay $6000 for this car. Like K said here, I would stick firm to about $3000, and I might go as high as $3500.

The one thing that I watched out for, when I bought my first restro car (5 months ago) was cowl rot. The sheet of metal between the engine and the interior. What I did to test the cars I looked at was pour a bucket of water right on the windshield then looked to see if any came into the interior. If it did, I thanked them for their time and walked away.

Like Chris said, there really isn't a solid value on these cars nowadays. I mean, in our economy people are dumping them because they need to make payments on the more important things in life like a mortgage. I would suggest getting the one that looks like a solid "I love this car" feeling to you and not worry so much as how much will it be worth in the long run.

I say this only because I have a friend that had a 1968 Nova that he put over $45000 into from beginning to end. He is out of work and just sold it for $22000. See my point?