Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Air Cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

Default Air Cleaner ?

OK, so I'm rebuilding my 289 2-V, turning it into a 4-V, and was wondering: What is the surface area of the oval, Cobra-type air cleaners ? They seem pretty restrictive, because of the size (1.5 inches tall ?) compared to the big factory air cleaners that hang down over the carb, and that must be 3.5 inches by 14 inches in diameter ?

I'm trying to make sure the carb and motor have enough air supply, especially since I am putting new heads, a 4-barrel, and a new intake. So, do you guys think that the oval air cleaner will restrict the air flow at all, or will it breathe alright for a 4-barrel ?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

PS I have seen guys stack two oval air filters in these cleaners but I don't think I have the hood clearance available.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have always thought the same thing, but I bet it is fine, because the dual quad setups use the same top.

I don't know about stacking filters. It might not seal up that well. It also might hit the hood.

I'm not really a big fan of the oval air cleaner with a single carb. I like this air cleaner, but it can be hard to find. This one is a bit pricey but will give you an idea. I have the same thing but it says Mustang on it instead of the Ford oval.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by tx65coupe; 10-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i use the long oval one. it looks just brilliant with the matching valve cobers. basically 3 long things that look similar. does'nt seem to have any problems breathing. with a 1" spacer under the carb and edelbrock performer rpm intake, demon carb I'm exactly at the limit. at the front are a few scratch marks at the bonnet and aircleaner. so it seems to hit occasionally. probably on load change
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Well, You're trying to compare a Ford/Cobra oval air cleaner to a Chevy LT1 air cleaner. Besides, I'm pretty sure the oval is more than an inch-and-a-half.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

You can just imagine that the air cleaner surface is a rectangle if it weren't wrapped around an oval. Length x width if I remember right is how to find surface area. So if is say 1" thick and measure all the way around it is say 24" then the surface are would be 24 square inches.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I think the surface area of the thinner oval filter is probably at least as much as the round ones. I do like the look of the oval one too. I just think it would look aweseme with dual quads under it.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Here is mine with the round one. I really do like that matching valve covers for either oval or round.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. Guess I'm gonna go with the oval, but the "Cobra" verson in natural aluminum finish.

Hope I don't have to buy a new hood; I'm kinda leaning toward a semi-hi-rise manifold that might not fit under my "turn signal hood".

I have to order the intake tonite for sure because my engine builder is ready for it and asking me to come pick up the grimy old parts ! ! (Too bad the car's not ready for the motor ! )

I'll try to get some pics once things start coming together.

Thanks again for the posts.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
mickman
1st Gear Member

PS Tx65Coupe, Nice engine compartment !

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner ?