Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AmIDoingThisRight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM
MustangFTW

Default AmIDoingThisRight?

So earlier today i drove my 67 289 with a autolite 2100. once i got back i checked my choke flap, it was closed. so i took out the bi metal coil and made sure it worked properly, ran hot and cold water over it and it expanded and shrunk. so i manually opened the choke flap and reattached the coil so that when it cools off the flap should close. but it doesnt, 2 hours later its still wide open. its 50 outside.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You need to adjust it so that it's closed when it's cold. Loosen the three hold down screws and rotate the cover until the choke plate closes, then tighten them down.

Also, make sure the choke tube from the exhaust is hooked up properly and not kinked, and that all of the choke linkage is free and not binding.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
coolbreze_1

I would get a rebuild sheet that comes with a carb rebuild kit. Somewhere on there it should give a gap between the choke plate and the throat of the carb. Also it will probably tell you what setting the mark on the housing should line up ie 2 lean or 2 rich etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya, just turn the cylinder clockwise or anticlockwise. there should be something in top you can match with a marking. I think it was a +2 setting. anyway, as Tad said when cold it has to be closed, so keep turning. if you don't have the heatriser it will open as well, it will just take too long. so you will drive with choke for longer