Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need opinions on lowering blocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Are those GT springs? I was under the impression that GT springs sat a little lower.
Not that you'd notice, the rear end should be at the same height regardless of how stiff the springs were.

That's a real Shelby, by the way.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

While you are fooling around with those wooden blocks, I'd recommend fully disconnecting the rear end from the suspension and seeing of much compression travel you get before your tires rub or you bottom out.

It would suck to buy some 2 inch drop springs only to find that you've got very little suspension travel and every bump has you bottoming out or rubbing the tires.

Good luck...
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by phutch11
While you are fooling around with those wooden blocks, I'd recommend fully disconnecting the rear end from the suspension and seeing of much compression travel you get before your tires rub or you bottom out.

It would suck to buy some 2 inch drop springs only to find that you've got very little suspension travel and every bump has you bottoming out or rubbing the tires.

Good luck...
Good advice, I'll do that. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Id go lower...but im half cholo
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

eZ, I really like the stance of your car. My front is a little higher, but not much.

Dang, I was going to ask what rear springs you have, but now I see you have a 4 link.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

All I have to say is that I really dislike the nose high look.

and... I don't think the grab a track 5 leafs are too stiff.....
Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

I'd respectfully disagree with avoiding blocks. While they do increase the leverage the rear end puts on the spring its not to a degree that would cause failure. With appropriate grade hardware torqued to spec there will be no squirming (if there is its not just the blocks). Ask any suspension guru, they would be more focused on adding a panhard bar as leaf springs are not exactly the "premium" rear susp choice for lateral loads and have PLENTY of squirm on their own.

I've run as high as 6" blocks on a dropped pickup with NO issues (and drove the pants off it). My Mustang has 4 leaf mid eye springs with 1 1/3" blocks, again with no problems and it sits flat as a pancake with tires tucked 1/2".

Driving hard on the street isnt really driving that hard. Unless your autocrossing, I wouldn't sweat the blocks.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I have 2" blocks in the rear to make the car level. Had them about 10 years without trouble, but I do not drive real hard. I get on it for straightaways, but not crazy cornering. Of course depends a little on how hard you are going to drive it.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you run blocks you should check your u bolts every so often to make sure they stay tight. When the housing gets farther from the leaf it has substantially more leverage to work against the mounting location, which can cause the bolts to loosen up.

Pretty much every leaf spring suspension place advises against using lowering blocks. Blocks are the cheap and incorrect way to change ride height.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
phutch11
1st Gear Member

I don't think that blocks are the best way to change ride height, but its worth noting that Dodge has used blocks for years to lift their Ram trucks from the factory.

Its always been a wonder to me as some of the blocks that you see look to be almost six inches high.

Are failures common in their trucks?

Just playing the devils advocate...

Quick Reply: Need opinions on lowering blocks