Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bad Planning $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Default Bad Planning $$$

I hate when I underestimate my plans.....or should I really say I hate when I over do something. The simple suspension upgrade has gotten really costly, now I wonder if I should just do a coil over kit and be done. After many days of bouncing back and forth between streetortrack and globalwest I finally settled on streetortrack (if Shaun calls). Currently thinking SOT UCA, LCA, strut rods, roller perches and blistein sport shock package. I had to sit down when I saw the $2K price on this.
I still need to add in costs for disc brakes and r&p steering. I figure another $2K here. At this point I want to throw in the towel and move to a coilover setup.

Too many options
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

That's why they always say to take a guess as to what your mods are going to cost and double that figure. That is what I always do because in the long run, mods always cost more than you planned on. Need to be patient and save your money.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That's why I usually stay as close to stock as possible. You can get very good handling with a nearly stock suspension, if you choose carefully.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Not so much the money as I could have opened my options more if I had planned better. Still not sure if a coilover system really buys me that much over doing a high end "stock" system.

I figured $15K into the resto so I still have some wiggle room but its adding up quick.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

If you are talking those kind of numbers why not a Mustang II setup like NOREINS is doing from Heidts or Rod and Custom?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The Street or Track system is a good coilover system. The geometry is great, and you get custom valved bilstein shocks with it.

If you don't want to fork out that much money, just get some roller perches and some control arms from John @ OpenTracker Racing. Combined with the Shelby drop and some good shocks, you'll be set to go.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:10 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

You might be able to resell some of your current upgrades, since they're new, and recoup some $$$.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

We are using the Rod and Custom set up for exactly the reason you have stated. We figured it would cost between 3 and 4 thousand for a good coil over setup with disc brakes and power rack and pinion. The beauty of the RC-107 kit we are using is that it is all in one package, for one price ($2,595). No trying to figure out what rack works best with what column, mismatching parts, etc. It may not be for you, but for us it was the way to go. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/rod__custom.pdf
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I haven't purchased yet. I ruled out r&p steering due to turning radius on a daily driver. The last thought I had was:
StreetorTrack Upper and lower control arms, roller perches, adjustable strut rods and blistein shocks. To that I needed to add brakes and borgeson steering. That puts me just over $3K with a steering system I'm really not thrilled with.

So now I'm thinking again. I like the system NoReins put in. I guess the question is how does it handle compared to the streetortrack combination I was looking at? Is coil over better?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'd rather have the stock suspension with some minor upgrades.

Quick Reply: Bad Planning $$$