Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OK so I need to make a descision on a rear end soon and need help deciding.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default OK so I need to make a descision on a rear end soon and need help deciding.

I actually found a Z spec T5 this weekend and now I need to start thinking about the rear end in my 65 Fastback that has a lo-po 302.
I currently have a stock 3:00 8" with drums. The drums are fine, I really dont see a need for spendy rear brakes but whatever works right..

Anyway, if I buy a new center section with a traction-loc and good ratio I will be out about $750 - $900 and will still need to replace the end bearings etc..I dont know about replacing the Ring & pinion myself because I would still have a single track rear end and I have never done it.

If I buy a complete 9" from Ebay with rear disk I can spend about $2k, but it would be uber cool.

Or, I can find a donor 8.8 from an explorer and I will just need to shorten one side and install spring perches, im not at all interested in leaving the diff off center. I wish someone did that and resold them, best bang for the buck for sure if you check prices at salvage yards or Ebay.

Am I missing any options? I dont think I can find a donor car 9" for my 65 can I?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

one option and its a good one is to use a 1990's to something like 03 ford explorer rear. Its an 8.8 with disks their about 200 dollars used. What you do is send it to a shop and have the long side of the axle shortened and you get a short side axle and put that in their. You get trac lock and you can get them with anywhere from 355 to 373 ect. They also use 31 spline axle. if you look around you can have this done for about 500 or so. Also with this i think you gain something like a half inch or so that the axle is narrowed.

Originally Posted by Coupe
I actually found a Z spec T5 this weekend and now I need to start thinking about the rear end in my 65 Fastback that has a lo-po 302.
I currently have a stock 3:00 8" with drums. The drums are fine, I really dont see a need for spendy rear brakes but whatever works right..

Anyway, if I buy a new center section with a traction-loc and good ratio I will be out about $750 - $900 and will still need to replace the end bearings etc..I dont know about replacing the Ring & pinion myself because I would still have a single track rear end and I have never done it.

If I buy a complete 9" from Ebay with rear disk I can spend about $2k, but it would be uber cool.

Or, I can find a donor 8.8 from an explorer and I will just need to shorten one side and install spring perches, im not at all interested in leaving the diff off center. I wish someone did that and resold them, best bang for the buck for sure if you check prices at salvage yards or Ebay.

Am I missing any options? I dont think I can find a donor car 9" for my 65 can I?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

my bad i didnt see that you already knew this. should of read the whole thing.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Well, I actually think cutting and welding the axle tube and spring perches would be easier than building up an 8"with traction-loc and backlash etc.. I have a horizontal bandsaw with a clamp that should be able to make a square cut, and I think I heard that you can sleeve the inside for added strength..

The part that sucks is I would need to change out the master cylinder again, and I was planning on buying a power kit and K-code front brakes, I would need to figure out what MC to even use?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
Well, I actually think cutting and welding the axle tube and spring perches would be easier than building up an 8"with traction-loc and backlash etc.. I have a horizontal bandsaw with a clamp that should be able to make a square cut, and I think I heard that you can sleeve the inside for added strength..

The part that sucks is I would need to change out the master cylinder again, and I was planning on buying a power kit and K-code front brakes, I would need to figure out what MC to even use?
I think its a better idea too you get disks, 31 spline axles for cheap. This is what im doing to my car now. Just have to send the rear i got out for the work as i dont have the tools to make that cut good enough. Also one thing you might what to think about if your doing it your self is that my buddy has had 2 of these done and when he sends them out they straighten the axle and both of his needed it.

When doing this most people i know that also have front disk brakes us a 93 cobra MC. Which you can get for around 50 dollars at autozone and what not. I dont know what people do for power brakes tho.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
vernlee

Coupe, If interested, I have a 9'' set up for your car, 3.73 gears disc brakes, this unit is NEW from one end to the other,new bearings,new gears,new rotors,new calipers, Did I mention everything is NEW, Also it has a NEW, heidts coil over suspension, chrome springs,dual Adj. shocks,powder coated upper and lower control arms,This baby is ready to bolt in.brake lines is all you have to add. I f this might be something your interested in,
landr@frontiernet.net
Vern
Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vernlee
Coupe, If interested, I have a 9'' set up for your car, 3.73 gears disc brakes, this unit is NEW from one end to the other,new bearings,new gears,new rotors,new calipers, Did I mention everything is NEW, Also it has a NEW, heidts coil over suspension, chrome springs,dual Adj. shocks,powder coated upper and lower control arms,This baby is ready to bolt in.brake lines is all you have to add. I f this might be something your interested in,
landr@frontiernet.net
Vern
I can already tell I can't afford it...but if you want to pm me a price I would read it...

Are you santa, cause thats prety much what I would build if I had a big budget...