Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thought on front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default Thought on front suspension

Well after drinking a six paxk last night while listening to metallicas greatest hits and staring at the mustang I started thinking..LOL

When I get roller spring perches the shock mount will roll more. that cant be good. Then I thought what if the shock had a heim joint! Like coil-overs duh. I looked at a kit on ebay for ron morris coil-over and thought the price was hilarious. Really all you have to do is make some plates to mount the coil over. I can have SS plates made for free.99 and buy QA1 shocks for about $300. Or you can buy the Ron morris kit for $830.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...Q5fAccessories

So can I buy the shock with a heim in the bottom so that the roller perches will work like a double roller and then just fab the mounting plates up top? I may have to fabricate something for the lower shock mount.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by eZ; 12-15-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

My personal thought is the stock spring perch in most cases has lasted for over 50 years, how long are those needle bearings going to last? But I'm more into restoration and keeping it as stock as possible so the only problem I see with the older mustang front suspension is the steering itself, I would prefer a rack & pinion set-up.

Last edited by gconnsr; 12-15-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

You must be a blast at a party!!!! I thought about taking a shock with an eyelet on each side and welding a lip on one side and call SKF to see if they had a bearing I could press into it all the way up to the lip. Never got the chance but I think it could be done, I thought complete roller, way to go.
P.S. If you decide to do it, I still have a couple phone numbers of head guys at SKF.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Im just thinking of making a mount for the eyelet to mount to up top. piece of cake right. Well qa1 makes a kit that converts the bottom eyelet to a tbar setup that will bolt directly to your upper control arm. These companies are making a couple of mounts and then selling you a qa1 shock with the tbar kit for $900 LOL
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

That is one hell of a mark up, sounds like you could undercut the competition pretty easy! Roll with it man.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

here is a universal shock mount for $12
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-20137
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

hmmmmmmmmm this man may be on to something.....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

But spring replacement coil overs like that do nothing for the ride just adjustable height.If your going to do it they need to go down to the lower control arm.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

In testing, John @ Opentracker found that the difference between his regular 'street' roller perches and his 'race' double roller perches is negligible in most driving conditions. The only time you might need a double roller setup is if you take your car to the track.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

My only thoughts are yea I drive mostly on the street. I drive about once a week. But there are times when Id like to rip down a windy road, through the hills. Id like to do the autocross at car shows. For sure Ill drag race the car. Eventually id like to take it to the race track but that wouldnt happen more than twice a year. So yea its mostly street drivin. but very spirited.

iThe reason I was deciding on doing this is if I purchase the roller perches, new springs, new shocks, Ill be over $300.

If I fabricate the top mount for the coil-overs Ill be just a bit over $300 and Ill remove the spring perch all together, adjustable shocks, plus better shocks to boot

Quick Reply: Thought on front suspension