Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Trigg
3rd Gear Member

Default Running Rough

Sorry that I havent been on in a while been busy with grinding 8 layers of paint, primer, and bondo off of my baby. Going to spray the primer tomorrow. Ill have pictures up as soon as I find my camera.

But to the reason for the thread. For yall that dont know Im stationed in NC and my car is in TN so I almost never get to work on her. Well I got some leave for x-mas so Im home and then the problems started. I got home and the first thing I do is go to the garage to start my baby cause I know no else ever does for me Well it fired right up then shut off, so i tried to get it started for about 5 mins then started smelling gas so I thought I flooded it. Dead wrong the carb was shooting gas out from the pump doomaflop thingy on the side of it. So the next day I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb and it still wouldnt start and I still smelt gas, well I look underneith the car and there is about a liter of gas layin there from the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump, it took about 5 mins to get it started after installin the pump now it will fire right up but it runs rough and here is what has me confused.

It fires right up, but if I accelerate it will die. If I play with the accelerate, "like press it really gently let off and press it alittle more and keep going with it" it will rev as high as I want. But if I just try pressing the pedal in one motion it will die. I want to say that it getting to much fuel or I ****ed the carb up when rebuilding it, but the rebuild was just a couple pieces that screwed in or pulled out and got replaced I didnt mess with the jets or any thing. I just cleaned it and replaced what the carb came with and slapped it on the car. If it matters any its a 200cid

Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
mustangted
1st Gear Member

aclelerator pump still isnt working.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Gun Jam

also check for vac leaks.

Did you get all the vac hoses hooked up did you crack any of them while working on the carb?

spray some carb cleaner around the base of the carb and hoses while the engine is running at idle and see if idle rpm changes as you spray around them. If it does there is a vac leak at that location.

-Gun
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Trigg
3rd Gear Member

after sprayin the hoses and double checkin everything I noticed one of the spark plug wires was sitting higher then the rest and sure enough it wasnt on all the way. I guess I need to pay more attention when changing spark plugs. But it works good now well as good as any I6 that hasnt been rebuilt. Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Gun Jam

yeah that was my next suggestion

Glad ya got it

-Gun