Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Howdy! New 2 forum and needs help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Maybe you have an incorrect carb or distributor. Have you checked to see if the advance diaphram is leaking? This would cause it to run poorly, and bad mileage is a classic symptom of that. Amazing the difference a part that costs under $30 can make.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tilley

Would installing an electronic ignition instead of the conventional distributer help?

A conventional electronic distributor will make your car run better, but an aftermarket distributor that will fit will run you about $400, I did spend this kind of $$$ putting a conventional distributor (Mallory Unilite) on my 55 Lincoln Y block in favor of the Loadmatic.... for me it was worth it since my Lincoln is pretty close to a daily driver and I had virtually no budget choices at all. I NEEDED to ditch my stock teapot carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4763001/

Sorry, I have to post a gratuitous picture post...

The addition of a modern carb + electronic ignition nets me between 15 and 20 mpg on the highway (closer to 20) from about 12 mpg, and improved drivability greatly.

A later OEM distributor (cheap) CAN be modified to work if the shaft is machined down below the gear.

Last edited by JMD; 01-10-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
A conventional electronic distributor will make your car run better, but an aftermarket distributor that will fit will run you about $400, I did spend this kind of $$$ putting a conventional distributor (Mallory Unilite) on my 55 Lincoln Y block in favor of the Loadmatic.... for me it was worth it since my Lincoln is pretty close to a daily driver and I NEEDED to ditch my stock carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4763001/

Sorry, I have to post a gratuitous picture post...
Wow! Very nice...thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Here's some photo's of my carb and distributer setup:

Question#1: Is this an Autolite 1100?

Question#2: There appears to be a vacuum advance on the distributer that is not covered. The second one has a hose that goes to the carb...is it okay for that nozzle on the distributer NOT to go anywhere or be covered?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am no expert on these setups by any means, but I think you need to have two vac hoses hooked to the advance unit on the distributor. (Cali dual diaphragm?)

Also, the vac line would have been steel (no hose used) from the carb to the dist.

The carb is "a" right 1100 carb, not sure of the differences that might be due to the dual diaphragm advance though.....
Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

When my 65 was a 200 3 speed back in high school, it would average 20 or more mpg.

The best thing we ever did for that 200 was get a brand new autolite carb for it. I tried rebuilding the original but it had major issues. The rebuilt ones from the store are not that great either.

I'll definitely second the thermostat suggestion. What about the air filter and fuel filter.

I also like the idea of electronic ignition. I would go with a Pertronix Ignitor that replaces the stock points and retains the stock distributor.

I don't remember ours having more than 1 vacuum port on the advance. Here is what mine looked like.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 01-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

So does anyone here on the "night-shift" know anything about that second vacuum advance nozzle on my distributer not having a hose on it or plugged up?

Also, next dumb question:

On the shifter you have

Park
Reverse
Neutral
Then a small dot followed by a larger dot...
Low

Which dot do you normally drive on, the first smaller dot or larger dot (especially of the freeway)?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

OK, coupla things.

You have the wrong distributor. That explains a lot. Carb appears correct.

Here's the distributor you should have:

These distributors are relatively easy and cheap, compared to the carb. Spend the extra to have the advance adjusted when you get it.

The shift pattern,

P Park
R Reverse
N Neutral
• Rain/Snow
O Drive
L Low

The • Rain/Snow position eliminates 1st gear, to reduce spinning tires in low traction. Also kills acceleration.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 01-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.p...phragm#p378775
Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Given the issue of a duel vacuum distributor with an Autolite 1100 carb, would anyone suggest a Petronix I electronic ignition to help performance and gas mileage?

Pertronix II better for a I6 200 cu inch motor?

Quick Reply: Howdy! New 2 forum and needs help!!!